Coiling Cable/Flex

Hi all

Is there a problem with coiling in-use flex/cable and tie wrapping it up?

I am talking about 5A fan feed not high load stuff. Does this induce eddie currents or magnetic fields or something, or does this only become a problem in higher voltage/load applications?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I keep meaning to post this - 'the proper way to coil a cable'

OT, but useful nevertheless.

I first learned this at around age eleven; magicians coil their ropes in this way so they don't get tangled.

Cheers J^n

Reply to
jkn

Much simpler is to coil it over your elbow and hand but reverse the direction every three turns. I learnt that at age 11.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ah, this needs a clip on youtube, Bill. Elbow and hand yes but reverse every 3? Pffffffff, sounds complicated. Anything like coiling a bandsaw blade? :D

Reply to
brass monkey

I'd forgotten, but yes, you can also do it over your hand and elbow. If you reverse each turn it's the same as the method shown. I tend not to to it that way because the resulting loop is not always the diameter I want.

If you 'grok' the method shown on YT then it's easy to understand how to do the elbow-hand version.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

I always change hands after 99