Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT (not about DIY at all): Lobby of parliament regarding the handover of UK powers to the EU
Mass Lobby of Parliament ? MONDAY On Monday afternoon (10th) the House of Commons will debate the hand-over of 35 Law and Justice powers to the EU ? without a referendum. These include the infamous...
33
33

Boiler time - or else parts for a Worcester Bosch 280 RSF?
Boiler is dead 8-( The long-serving Worcester Bosch 280 RSF may have finally shuffled off its Python sketch. The most minor fault ever - a minor weep on the push-fit O-ring fittings wh ere the...
10
10

Cladding a block wall
Some months back I asked about suitable ways of doing this, and received lots of helpful replies and advice. I've now acquired some reclaimed Welsh roofing slates which I plan to use to make the...
31
31

OT: Halifax online banking and reformatting drive
My brother wants me to reformat his laptop and return it to factory settings. He banks with Halifax and is slightly worried that something is going to go awry with his online banking. With both of us...
54
54

OT Pix of Italy
Doctored up a bit mayhap? They are almost TOO perfect looking.
5
5

Standalone dusk to dawn PIR
Can anyone recommend a decent weather proof standalone PIR switch to control a string of 8W LED floodlights I wish to replace a 500W halogen floodlight with. I want sensing from both ends of the...
1
1

Extractor fan
I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my...
6
6

A/V wiring - faceplates/boxes?
Currently organising the A-V/ethernet setup for the tellybox etc. There'll be 7 pairs of surround-sound speaker terminals, 2 RJ45 sockets, a terrestrial TV coax socket and a cable TV F-socket (I may...
7
7

Pendant light fitting - rating
A female friend has just bought an expensive pendant light fitting which on examination has cable which I would rate at a minimum of 3, more like 5 amp, and a brass / ceramic bulbholder. The box...
12
12

USENET thirty years ago.
Time to dig out your oldest news reader and follow this new communications medium in real time minus 30 years No username or password required. You may as well subscribe to everything, there isn't er...
5
5

Any recomendations for a new multi meter please?
My old one has today thrown the towel in. Can't complain as it's given me good service for 25-30 years. Main usages: AC up to 440V, DC up to 120V. Resistance occasionally. Transistor testing never....
35
35

Odd cooker problem
twin gas oven (small top oven/grill, larger oven below). For a while now, the top oven lights fine, but after a couple of minutes the ignition starts repeatedly clicking, even though the oven is on....
2
2

"five inch" ducting
I am trying to finally get my bathroom extraction sorted, since there is no point in getting a dehumidifier and then pumping shower steam into the hou se ! So ... Be careful buying "five inch"...

Seiko Gaskets
Looking for a gasket for a Seiko SKX007K1. Google turns up only eBay, which turns up only one from Asutralia @ £9.0 0 inc postage from Australia. Apart from the price it seems ludicrous to have to...

Replacing rubber door seal in washing machine - is it a diy job?
Our Zanussi washing machine is over 10 years old and has recently started leaving whitish spots or granules on washing, more obvious on dark items. Investigation suggests that some of the folds in the...
14
14