Subject Author Posted Replies

Central Heating Manifold - Jet Washer
I had a couple of sluggish radiators. When I was having some building work done I got the plumber to re-pipe one of them whilst the plaster was off the wall. I was out when he did it - he told me that...
6
6

Plumbing: will this work?
Hi all, Is it kosher to insert the finned end of this pan connector: into the spigot end of one of these: And expect a good seal. And if it is, should one leave the 'o' ring of the latter in place, or...
5
5

Ring circuit and spur/radial from same MCB ?
I've been looking at a relative's 1960s house, and it looks like various people have done electrical work over the years. I've a couple of questions: 1) It looks like there is both a ring circuit...
18
18

Hudl2 thumbs up
A while ago there was a topic about Ipads/tablets, just set up a Hudl2 for someone (not that it needed much setting up) and am thoroughly impressed with it for the price. Really nice screen and it...
6
6

Website design software
This is perhaps stretching the definition of DIY rather a bit, but can anyone recommend an offline (ie not including hosting) drag-and-drop type website designer program? Thanks.
52
52

Price for dropping a kerb (in Kent)
I'm asking this on behalf of my son, who lives in north Kent (I myself live a long way away from there). What's a reasonable price for "dropping" a kerb? My son and his wife need to have theirs...
19
19

Balanced flue through slates, leaking
This is a job I wish I had done 2 yrs ago but I don't really know what the problem is so I am stuck A single story lean to with slates at about 30deg pitch. The 'balanced' flue from the boiler goes...
2
2

Remote content (pictures) in emails [OT in uk.d-i-y]
I receive regular emails from various UK companies, containing details of their latest offers - Aldi, Lidl, Screwfix, Maplin, etc. These invariably contain pictures as remote content. My email client...
24
24

Removing 10mm from timber in situ
I have a doorway which was 23" wide. By removing the decorative wood I've exposed two hefty uprights, 6-1/4" x 2-1/2" (they built well long ago), and the doorway width is now 608mm. which doesn't...
37
37

New Vaillant boiler problems
I returned to Usenet too late to see more than the tail end of the 'New Boiler - controls' thread and I lack the nous to seek out the earlier part on-line so my apologies if any of that covers my...
14
14

Sunvic RF thermostat
Central heating is tarting about, problem seems to be the wireless thermostat. I've read the instructions! And re installed the stat, but it's still tarting about. Is this more likely to be the stat...
6
6

Damaged USB hard drive
I use a little Toshiba Netbook most of the time, with an external USB 2.5 inch Toshiba hard drive, which was perfect until I dropped the drive, which no longer works. The Netbook tells me my USB...
30
30

OT Three Gorge sDam.
5
5

Start of the power cuts?
Three power outages last night - West Bridgeford area of Nottingham. And only 7 miles from Ratcliffe power station tut tut (I know it doesn't work like that) :-)
15
15

OT - need and inkjet photo printer
Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser for general printing) We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or one of the supermarket automatic...
20
20