Paint for garage door?

My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white. It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the time to change the colour and blend in.
What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.
On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:

Just don't use anything water based. Low vapour may be an advantage indoors, but IMO it's solvent based all the way for outdoor jobs.

Not when doing some stuff like concrete blocks.

Use paint made for the material your door is made of. IMO it's worth paying extra for a professional-grade brand of paint, and following the preparation instructions.
I did that job 12 years ago, covering sky blue on an elderly metal up- and-over garage door using a white gloss paint for outdoor metal work. The paint job outlasted the door, which fell off its mechanism last year and had to be replaced.
Janet.
On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:

Wood or metal? Galvanised or plastic coated? Makes a difference.

If metal, I would suggest a thorough clean off, sanding, clean off again and Hammerite. One coat should do the job.