(Mini) guttering (is it *really* this hard ?)`

Have just moved a shed from the paved patio, to a raised section of decking.

Luckily (!) the last few days have given me ample data regarding rainwater, and it seems a good idea to gutter the shed, and pipe the rainwater to the drain which is about 12" behind the shed (under the decking).

I knew you can get shed ("mini") guttering, so a 10 minute spin around B&Q got me guttering, a downpipe, brackets, and an observation that there's not much else available. In particular regarding my wish to (a) connect both sides guttering into a single outlet, and (b) discreetly pipe the water into the drain (via a hole in the decking).

So rather than build a kludgefest of zillions of (112 degree) angled connections, I was thinking of trying to find some flexible hosing, which can plug into the gutter outlet, and be directed into the drain.

Googling suggests rainwater harvest systems are the place to start looking, but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

Filling a water butt is trivial, but we don't garden, and have no other use for the water.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have some blue 25mm pipe taking the rain water off my shed. I use a threaded to push fit adapter to connect to the guttering.

Reply to
dennis

What size does the flexible hose need to be, and how flexible? The stuff sold by pond equipment supplyers for piping filters and water features comes in various sizes. Is that any good?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It would help to know what diameter system you've gone for. If 50mm, flexible tube in that size isn't hard to come by.

Eg.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

AFAICT the diameter on the gutter outlet (and associated pipe) are 50mm

Ah, "ducting" not "piping" - it's that little twist between stupid and clever ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

50mm. Not "super" flexi. Just so I can plug it into the outlet, and run it discreetly behind the shed.

Have now discovered all the water feature gubbins, so will dig further.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

sadly there's no guttering nearby, so it's going into the drain. Couple of suggestions downthread will keep me busy for a day or two :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That was the original plan. Until I discovered that the selection of joining pipes is limited. To achieve what I want using rigid pipes would make the shed look more like the Apollo lander.

Definitely looking at the black pond pipes - they could be neatly tucked behind the back, and piped into the drain below.

I didn't care when the shed stood on slabs. But now it's on decking, I can see the drip-line becoming green in no time.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On 29/07/2015 10:58, Jethro_uk wrote: ...

Claim it is inspired by the Pompidou Centre

Reply to
Nightjar

;)

Not a bad place actually. Sort of twin to the ICA IIRC.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If, like me, you don't throw anything away you should have some flexible hose from an old cylinder vacuum cleaner. This is probably a little smaller than mini guttering downpipe but might do the job. (I use it as an outlet hose on an IBC container which harvests rainwater).

Reply to
newshound

Guess what went to the tip last week :(

Reply to