Subject Author Posted Replies

Buying from abroad?
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if one does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?
17
17

OT End of the world is nigh!
Well almost. Keeps the proles amused. If it was gonna hit us, I feel sure it would be kept secret so the politicians could retire to their nuclear bunkers. A COLOSSAL asteroid hurtling through space...
9
9

Another job done in the Great Mouldy House Renovation
Doors: OK - only part DIY and part subbed to some carpenters who know what they are doing. We have 3 sliders due to space constraints. 2 swingers where that is not a problem. 2 door frames I put in...
13
13

Garden Wall
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I have seen some in same road a lor worse, Built of...
5
5

Block paved path
I'm under orders to re-lay a block paved path. This was originally laid (clearly many years ago) directly to soil using old blue bricks and, IMO, has done quite well, considering. For a block paved...
4
4

Leaking Aldi kettle - warranty
I am about to tackle Aldi over a kettle bought in January, earlier this year. Yes we have the receipt of purchase. There paperwork suggests it has a 3 year warranty. As I understand it, our warranty...
41
41

Roof Cost Calculator
Hi all, Inspired by Tricky Dicky's question about extensions, does anyone know of an online resource for calculating the cost of a new roof based on square metre-age, choice of tiles or slates,...
7
7

McDonalds....
Why do McDonalds have no gutters?...just rainwater diverters at the drive through windows .....and about every other building in this country does ? .....
14
14

Do you English...
Do you english still install timber windows in the outside leaf ? .....
20
20

Estimating Extension Building Costs
I have been looking at a number of properties recently some of which could do with some extension to fully meet our needs. Is there a reasonably accur ate method of arriving at a price perhaps based...
6
6

Wonder what the quality is like?
23
23

OT; Education
Got an e-mail headed; 'work need done' The message was; 'hi david i ask how much will cost to plastic a bedroom as they only 3 walls need plastic as how much would it cost as you can get hold me on...
67
67

Radiator valves wrong way round?
Hi all, I'm putting in yet another radiator, but in this instance have been unable to ascertain which pipes emerging from a wall are which. Given the physical surroundings it's not possible to trace...
13
13

Water softeners
The plumber suggests that one should not drink water from an installed water softener, but that a direct-from-the-mains tap must be installed to suit the water by-laws. What's the danger here, when...
14
14

So, which angle grinder then?
Need a 4.5" corded one for occasional use (after the one I bought from Screwfix about 12 years ago for 2.50 GBP has finally conked out). I have to confess to being in love with Makita since buying a...
16
16