Subject Author Posted Replies

Paint Primers
Hi all, I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it...
6
6

If Russ Andrews made ...
... bog flushers
7
7

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related
Just a heads up for those that might be interested Sunday 8pm BBC2 All episodes of Demolition - The Wrecking Crew
32
32

On the subject of toilets and flushing
We have one upstairs, one downstairs, both identical in all respects other than the poor operation of the one upstairs. It needs numerous flush attempts, to clear the pan contents. It has always been...
5
5

OT Osmotic power
Came across this. Free energy. Osmotic power - Wikipedia Statkraft Osmotic Power Plant - Power Technology | Energy News and Market Analysis
5
5

OT: Top tip for bacon
If you want to cut the rind off, do it when the bacon is still frozen. It's much quicker. Bill
39
39

I've finally gone mad
I came home and walked up the drive. The dog was in the window, and wagged her tail. I waved back. Bill
6
6

OTish - Public Buildings Fire Regs
A little OT for DIY as this applies to a Local Authority building but I thought there might be someone on here who could advise. The local authority leisure center that I attend is currently...
7
7

12v battery lead snap connector - Googlefi help please
I'm intending to DIY a solution for the camper where I have a 12V lead to the leisure batteries which can do two things: (1) Connect the kick ass tyre pump (too kick ass for a cigar lighter socket)...
14
14

Tool boxes
I'm after recommendations for reasonable quality tool boxes at the cheap end of the market, primarily for my 1/4" router and assorted gubbins. It's mostly just for ease of storage in the workshop,...
14
14

Next door water noises
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am. The water pipe from...
14
14

OT: from a schoolteacher
"I've had an irritating, boring and fruitless time at school today. It's assessment week, (only six weeks since the last one) and I fail to see what good it's doing the kids. The tests take all week,...
28
28

Battery cable size for electric start ride on mower?
Ancient Laser mower wiring is getting rough, Kohler twin. Current wire OD including insulation is 5.5 mm and looks a bit thin to me. Would this 60 Amp 8.5 mm^2 be about right, do you think?
13
13

The 'Building Line'
My mother's bungalow was built in about 1960, and is set 30ft back from the road, behind what is/was known as the 'building line'. Whenever a discussion comes up regarding the size of the front...
8
8

OT Wind turbine question.
There are wind turbines scattered all over Cornwall. Some of them in big 'farms', but many are isolated singles or small groups. While the generators on the big farms all seem to rotate together at...
19
19