Subject Author Posted Replies

Car Air Conditioning.
Mindful of the recommendations to give the aircon a run even in the winter I pushed the button today. It got me wondering (as I was doing 70mph) - is it kinder to the system to switch it on at...
111
111

Taking a level off an OS benchmark
With this type of benchmark Is the level,recorded on maps, given by the flat ledge immediately above the upward pointing broad arrow, or half way up the recess involving that ledge or some proprietary...
7
7

Using no nails
Would I get away with using `no nails` type product to fix frame for boxing in the waste pipe on toilet instead of screwing the frame to the wall. I ask because it would be easier for me as the...
8
8

Ot: Why you dont want to run windows Issue II
it turns out you have to use something worse that the command line - regedit (not available from a mouse click last time I used windows) to eradicate the automatic malware installation of Windows 10.
2
2

OTish: packaging & couriering when selling mattress
Hi All I have a Kingsize matress that I wish to sell - very high quality, less than a year old, little use, yours for a song, etc. I realise that despite all of the above I am likely to make a big...
12
12

Re: OT: Why you should not use Windows : issue 1
No, nothing as complex as any of that ... it's because all of the companies listed would rather risk loosing billions than employ even one Linux geek (and OSX can often be administered by a 'normal...
247
247

OT: Unopenable packaging
I hate the plastic and card packaging that manufacturers use nowadays, it can be a fingernail-breaking event to get at the item inside, and my fingers are not as nimble as they once were. Yesterday, I...
98
98

Price for new boiler in London?
My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad a lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and...
9
9

To the Natural Philosopher
Your recent long post on 'The truth about the holocaust' has finally made me address you personally. Your analytical skills and clarity of thought convince me that you must be highly educated...
2
2

Drill batteries a ripoff
Hmmmm.... I need a new battery for my drill. Battery of correct type =3D =A326 New drill of same spec with battery and charger =3D =A327 Battery of wrong type, but same voltage and amperage =3D...

"Genuine" lithium ion batteries?
I'm finding it rather difficult to buy real Lithium Ion batteries (like 18650s) online. By real I mean something like Panasonic etc. I've had Chinese unbadged ones before and they've held 1Ah instead...
26
26

OT Civi;l Servants
For the first time ( and hopefully the last) I had to phone up the pensions service as I have not received my fuel allowance. What a waste of space they are. After loads of questions they told me to...
29
29

Interior design advice for new home owner
Hi, My name is Matt, I bought a new house in Norwich with my partner in 2014 an d we've had great fun renovating and decorating it. When our home was an em pty shell we spent a long time scrolling...
8
8

My Lite-On internal DVD writer no longer reads or writes, new internal (SATA) or external (USB) drive? What is preferred?
Amazing! These modern computers are clever! And there's me, religiously, for years, re-connecting the sound cable after every hardware upgrade. MM
24
24

Material for kitchen sliding doors
Hi all, I am going to have a wall of kitchen cupboards built and have 2.2m floor to ceiling sliding doors with recessed handles on the front. What material sh ould I have the panels made from? MDF...
3
3