Subject Author Posted Replies

Secret fixing removable board to wall.
Hi, I have a board which I need to secure to a wall which needs to be firm whe n fixed but easily removable, The fixings can't be seen from the front. Ideally the board would be removed at the same...
20
20

Wardrobe sliding doors, top or bottom rollers?
Hi, I am looking to convert 6x doors, 3.5M total, which are presently on hinges, to becomes sliders and without spending vaste amounts on doing the job. The door hinge system I used long ago, simply...
7
7

RCB nuisance trips
We're getting nuisance trips on our main house RCB (which only covers power and not lighting). Once it trips, you can reset it. We had about 10 in one day a few weeks ago, which I traced to the oven,...
10
10

TOT; Fiction
Reading a murder mystery/detective book last night. Bloke described as over 6ft and slightly overweight hangs himself. By his belt, from the light fitting in the bedroom...... House described as being...
9
9

Painting kitchen units?
Good morning friends, I'm wondering what is the best way to paint or otherwise refinish some kitc hen units - especially the doors. Mine are an ugly outdated colour, and I w ant to paint them white. I...
15
15

OT For wimmin drivers?
A 1950's newsreel featuring the innovative concept of a retractable fifth wheel to aid in parking.
4
4

How much grease in a Kenwood gear box.
I have been given a tub of grease to go with the new gears and box. Should I fill the gearbox up?
1
1

Dimming 'not specifically dimmable' LEDs?
Yo. A while back Mum bought a table lamp that was 'touch dimming' where repeated 'touches' to the lamp body gave you from off to 'low', 'med', full and off again. I think it suggested a 'max' 40W...
12
12

Alternatives to stair carpets
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored. I'm relectant to replace...
23
23

DEOL Wiring for Alarm Help Please
Hi, I have just wired up a new alarm system using double end of line wiring. The problem is when there are two PIRs on the same zone. Each PIR works fine on its own but when you move from one room to...
2
2

OT:Wileyfox Swift ?99 today
Just a heads up this excellent network-free dual SIM Android phone is £99 (Usually £129) on Amazon today. Had mine since Xmas and it's a cracking phone. Dual SIM is nice (so you can have a separate...
2
2

Metal bar tolerances
I need a longer steel bar to fit an existing slot, measured the existing bar that fits the slot with a vernier calliper at 13.0x3.0mm Ordered a length of 13x3mm stainless flat bar, only to find when...
4
4

R-value of a basic garage door?
I looked everywhere on Google, and all I can find is the R-value of insulated garage doors (which I didn't even know existed!). What is the R-value of a traditional garage door, made of a simple sheet...
13
13

OT - Anaerobic Digestion - could you check my use of these figures please?
According to Farmers' Guardian, a biogas plant with a capacity of one megawatt, "requires 20,000-25,000 tonnes [of maize] a year, accounting for 450-500 hectares of land. I don't know but I assume...
8
8

OT: Microsoft moves towards Linux again..
Microsoft is changing strategy. Once upon a time, it was all Microsoft or nothing. They've realised that doesn't work in business, and individual Microsoft business units are now allowed to do their...
5
5