How much grease in a Kenwood gear box.

I have been given a tub of grease to go with the new gears and box. Should I fill the gearbox up?

Reply to
zaax

No, I don't think you generally fill any gearboxes up completely (you need some airspace for expansion) but I would put enough in to ensure the key moving parts were always in contact with some grease.

You often find such things with all the grease packed round the outside and none actually on the moving parts. Windscreen wiper motors spring to mind.

As long as the design of the gearbox was oil tight, I might be tempted to put a drop of heavy oil in there as well to ensure the grease says fairly 'mobile'.

The need for that may depend on how warm the gearbox gets in typical use, as if it does warm up, that may help to keep the grease soft / mobile in any case.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m