How much grease?

Rebuilding my chop saw and cleaned out the gears where the motor and blade mechanism connects. How much grease do I pack in there? Fill it up or just a thick coating on the gears?

Reply to
ss

Leave space within the gearbox. Do not overfill, excess pressure can force surplus grease out so damaging seals

Reply to
harry

A coating where the gears mesh. Not thick but more than a finger smear. I'd maybe roughly fill the teeth of one gear for a mm or two wide along the center of the meshing area, assemble, turn by hand and check all the meshing surfaces were covered.

Grease elsewhere is wasted, if it gets hot enough to run you have other problems...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ok thanks for the info.

Reply to
ss

I'd have to disagree with that. Agreed, for minimum losses on something which is going to be stripped regularly, but for a domestic tool I'd aim to half fill the available volume. The surplus is just sitting there doing nothing, up to the point where the working bits use up the normal smear, then the box warms up, the spare grease slumps or melts, and it is just like re-greasing.

It is fairly easy to overfill rolling element bearings which is why an "escape path" is usually provided, especially if there is a grease nipple. But it is quite difficult to overfill a grease lubricated gearbox because there is normally a fair amount of dead space, even if you think it is full there are likely to be air filled voids.

Reply to
newshound