Do you grease plastic lawnmower drive gears?

Scotts front wheel drive lawnmower. Metal drive gear engages the plastic gear molded inside the wheel. Plastic is worn to the point it won't drive and I'm replacing the wheels.

None of my mowers look like they ever had any grease there.

How about the axle? Plastic is slick... no evidence of grease there either.

Grease or no grease? Any particular kind? Don't want to do more harm than good.

Reply to
mike

Grease attracts dirt and debris . A good dry lube will work better .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Lube recommendation?

Reply to
mike

Silicone spray lube or graphite.

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Don't grease open gears (on a lawnmower)- the grease will hold dirt and sand and grind the gears out in short order.

Reply to
clare

Nylon geares are their own "dry lube"

Reply to
clare

They win..... You lose..... They got you to buy new wheels, and probably charged a small fortune for them too. It's planned obselence. Rather than make DURABLE metal gears, they use crappy plastic, knowing they will sell you expensive replacment wheels or a new mower in a few years.....

I'd spray some silicone lube on them! Do it often!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I'd wash the beggars out once in a while - it's the crap grinding between the steel and plastic that chews off the teeth.

Reply to
clare