Petroleum based grease on plastic gears

Hi

I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old (60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the plastic?

If so, what's the best way to clean it off without further damaging the plastic?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I doubt it.

Soak in alcohol.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LM grease is a lythium based lubricant. I am no expert on this, but in my experience, I can't see a problem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It would depend on the plastic, I suppose.

Things like Lucas wiper motors had a plastic gear driven by a metal worm and that gearbox was filled with grease. Overhaul instructions suggested this was just GP car grease - which would be Castrol LM etc.

Also there are plastic parts in the fuel system of a petrol car. Floats for the fuel gauge sender, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on the plastic. Your biggest risk is swelling of parts, especially those running on a shaft. '60s-era plastics are generally safe here, it's the old bakelites and caesins that were the trouble,

I tend to use Halfords white bike grease for this (the waterproof one). Lighter weight grease than LM and no problems with it going rigid with age.

Reply to
Andy Dingley