Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Christmas and children
It's Christmas tomorrow and once again it will be ruined by the presence of children, running around shouting and squealing with excitement, spreading wrapping paper everywhere, and demanding that...
22
22

Just wondering - Heat Transfer
Are immersion heaters as efficient as they could be? Could the tubular element be improved upon - or doesn't it matter?
109
109

Cleaning Textured Vinyl Flooring
I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I think it's Rhino flooring) See it here: or Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the doorway I have a...
33
33

AA batteries v LEDs
I have a sep of LEDs (xmas lights) Original batteries were Alkaline 1.5V. Are the LEDs likely to run from 1.2V nickel metal hydride rechargeables?
30
30

13Amp socket with USB Charger
Provided I get a decent make - are there any risks to consider? Any snags?
66
66

Police comms
".........in distress as do the police on a weekly basis as I hear them on my scanner." I would be interested in how it is done : listening in to police communications. (I thought it was illegal - but...
62
62

OT Yet another way to kill yourself.
Produced By AIRBORNE FILMS Directed By Eric Magnan https://www.instagram.com/ericmagnan.director/ The Patrouille de France and the three Jetmen Yves Rossy, Vincent Reffet and Fred Fugen fly together...

Storm Barbara
At least the windfarms will be of some use for once. 5.76GW at time of writing (0800)
17
17

[OT?] Reverse camera not working
The reverse camera on my Hyundai ix35 is playing up. It is still under warranty, so shouldn't be a problem to get it repaired, but I am trying to save me the hassle of taking it to the garage... It...
46
46

Amazed: DVD polish worked!
...trying to play some DVDs of my sisters, and one wouldn't play. Half an hour with Brasso* and a soft rag absolutely removed some appalling scratches, and it played end to end. *All she had...
33
33

Internal door fitting
I have just taken delivery of five of these, to replace five older doors. There are no markings to suggest where the hinges must go, nor the locks. The single page leaflet included only mentions...
7
7

Flap Wheel grit size
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use? This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder. I also got the...
20
20

How to break stuff
MY NEW CHANNEL - https://youtu.be/2K0Y_qSydJg Subscribe to Aredrine !!! ------------------------------ Music: Tobu & Itro - Sunburst [NCS Release] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lXBHD5C8do Follow...
16
16

One for the chemists
The condensate from a gas boiler contains nitric acid and has a pH of between 2.9 and 4.0 It's been dripping onto the ground from a bit of a height and has been splashing up slightly onto one of the...
30
30

OT Intelligence test
The Smart or Stoopid Quiz, by flashbynight.com, a simple and fun IQ test
5
5