Internal door fitting

I have just taken delivery of five of these, to replace five older doors.

There are no markings to suggest where the hinges must go, nor the locks. The single page leaflet included only mentions storage and care of the door, both edges look the same.

I should like to reuse the existing hinge and lock positions if possible, but with no clues as to whether I can or not.....

Anyone got any thoughts on how to find out please, other than asking the manufacturer which might take a while to get a reply at this time of year?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tap the two stiles, these types of door mainly contain egg boxes as separat ors between the skins so in the main will sound hollow. The stile containin g the lock spacer will sound solid in the region it is fixed. Better qualit y ones will tend to have more wood in the framework and will feel notably h eavier, with this type it does not usually matter which stile is used for w hich and may explain the lack of any indicator.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

From (what I think is the correct spec for those doors - best you check yourself)

"Perimeter Framing (Whitewood): 28 x 28mm (35mm Imperial Doors)*

Full Width Lock Block (Whitewood): 54 x 28mm (35mm Imperial Doors)*" positioned 880mm from top of door (54mm long).

Maximum edge trim 5mm of All Edges"

so hinges anywhere, presume the 880mm falls just below the middle panels?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think Harry's is a solid particle board core, a diagram further into the PDF I linked to seems to imply for the safe'n'sound core type you can fit locks anywhere.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It doesn't really matter where you put the hinges - the frame member will be of constant width all the way down.

But there should be a lock block on one side or other. This is usually indicated with a little icon or coloured blob either on the edge in the lock position or on the top or bottom near one corner to show which is the lock side. It may not be very prominent, so look carefully!

Failing that, you my be able to use a stud finder to find solid inserts such as the lock block - or you may be able to detect different degrees of hollowness simply by tapping it in likely places.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, I searched the site but failed to find that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But as I mentioned later, the safe'n'sound type don't have a lock block as they're solid (well particle board) construction, so fit handles anywhere.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is no guarantee that Usenet articles will be delivered in order, or indeed, at all.

Reply to
Huge