Win7 question

The wife has a Lenovo laptop with Win7Pro 64 bit on it , and an unfamiliar "icon" has popped up at the bottom center of her display . It's a black square with a symbol that looks like a capital D laid on it's face with a fan of lines coming out of the curved part . It has a single angled line across the icon , like the "no parking/no whatever" symbol . I thought it might be an indicator that the webcam was turned off , but that doersn't seem to be it . Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Speakers muted?

Reply to
RonNNN

"Terry Coombs" wrote

| Any idea what this might indicate and how to turn it off ?

Right-click -> Properties should tell you where it points to. You didn't indicate wheter it was on the Desktop or the taskbar, but either way it sounds like some kind of shortcut, maybe installed by something she unknowingly allowed in.

Reply to
Mayayana

Did you try clicking on it, left or right button? Can't recall seeing anything that looks like that.

Reply to
trader_4

Nope , we tried that .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Nope , right click just brings up screen properties .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I can only say you just cannot tell. The webcams on my two notebooks don't have indicator lights as well.

If you worried about spyware, then.... damage/remove it and buy a USB webcam that has proper indicator lights? :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

You might want to consider the possibility of spyware....

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Clicking on it has no effect , right click brings up the screen properties window . Restarting did make it gp away , but she has seen this icon before usually in the lower right hand corner of her facebook page .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Next time it appears there, click on it on FB and see what happens. I think it was asked already, is this on the lower desktop or in the task bar at the very bottom?

Reply to
trader_4

Look at the top right Page Up key - the blue Function icon - this is the keyboard lamp - but my T500 Win 8 doesn't show any indication when it is turned on ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

It's on the desktop .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 07:40:36 -0500, "Terry Coombs" wrote in

How about posting an image of it on an image sharing site?

Reply to
CRNG

That's it ! Thanks John we've been wondering . Now to figure out why it pops up sometimes ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If clicking on it has no effect, it sounds like part of the screen did not redraw. Try clicking the desktop, then press F5 to refresh the screen.

You could also try selecting a new image or background pattern for the wallpaper.

It would also be a good idea to scan for viruses and spyware.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

On my Thinkpad you control the light by pressing a combination of the Fn (lower left key on my keyboard) and Space bar keys.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Steve Stone brought next idea :

On mine (T-41) that is the magnifier. The light is lower left (Fn) and upper right (PgUp).

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Something for you to read here, Terry!

David B.