Upgrade of Thunderbird has installed 115.3.1 (64-bit)

I had a message that there was a new version of Thunderbird. I foolishly downloaded it and it installed. Now, some of my configuration has been F****D up. I only use Thunderbird for Usenet access and before the upgrade all unread messages were highlighted in red (including any collapsed threaded folder containing an unread message). Now the only indication is that they are in bold. So far I've yet to find any setting or anything in the help pages that allows the setting to be changed for coloured text.

Can anyone suggest where a change of coloured text can be implemented.

Reply to
alan_m

If you check the add-on that you're using to get coloured text, you might find that the developer is working on a new version for v115. There have been many changes with 115, some of which seem most unwelcome (I'm still on 102). If you've got the time, it might be worth subscribing to alt.comp.software.thunderbird and reading some of the threads which have been posted since 115 appeared. Some of the posters have worked out ways to get back nearly everything they had with 102 (except the missing "thread" lines linking replies to posts, unfortunately).

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Oh christ, dont go there., I spend a day customising thunderbird and the next release f***ed it all up. I now regularly have black text on a black background.

The UI has been hacked by so many people it needs rewriting from scratch

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I set up a new computer and it installed the latest Thunderbird by default. As you say, reading of Usenet News is completely messed up. I found the only solution was to search out a place to download the version 102.14.0 and install that. It claims that your settings might be affected if you go back to an earlier version but in my experience the weren't.

I keep getting prompted to upgrade to the latest Thunderbird - I'd turn off these prompts if I could work out how. Stay with version 102 seems to be the general advice.

Reply to
Clive Page

Luckily, you can get round that by "print screen" - unless you use black paper

Reply to
charles

Yes anything you do with useChrome.css can get b0rked by updates.

Another way to handle colouring is via tags, you can create message filters to set tags and then set a colour to display each tag, might not cover all eventualities

That's largely what v115 is ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I believe this will do what you want:

I've been using it ever since an earlier update to TB broke a previous add-on.

Reply to
nothanks

As far as I know, that add-on only changes colours within the message pane, and the O/P wants to change colours within the message list pane ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-( Note to self: RTFQ

Reply to
nothanks

I was going to suggest that yesterday, but then realised that the message filters for news don't seem to include message status "unread" as something you can filter on.

A useful trick I find is a filter that looks for my name / address in the "From" field, and then sets the Action to "Tag" the message as Personal, and set the Watch Thread flag. That then shows any thread I have started or replied to in a different colour and I can also filer on "watched" threads - makes it easier to spot replies to older threads that I otherwise might have missed.

Reply to
John Rumm

It doesn't even do that. I tried it last night and it changed nothing.

I also found a suggestion about a new syntax in userChrome.css but again this doesn't seemed to have changed any colours. Yes, I have enabled toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

Reply to
alan_m

It certainly changes foreground and background colours of received messages as intended, I'm reading your reply with it now (your reply is black, mine is blue, aolbin's is red, and your original is green)

Not sure what you mean by "new syntax", but have you got the following XUL and HTML schema lines in your userChrome.css?

@namespace xul "

"; @namespace html "
"; What else is in your .css file?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't have the @namespace html i the file but now.....

@namespace url("

"); @namespace html "
"; #threadTree tbody [data-properties~="unread"] { font-family : Arial !important; font-weight: Bold !important; color: red !important }

Reply to
alan_m

Solved thanks to your help @namespace url changed to @namespace xul and now I have red text for unread messages

The @namespace url is what has been in userChrome.css that I've been using for a number of years prior to this upgrade - and with red text for unread usenet messages.

The lines that set red text were what I found this morning when someone else wanted to do the same thing. This was a different syntax to what I had originally.

Reply to
alan_m

Set this as your userChrome.css file. It will give you red text for unread mail in the message list pane and the last two sections will let you set the font and text size for both the folder pane and the message list pane to you own requirements. Works fine here on v.115.

/* * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */

@namespace xul "

";@namespace html "
"; #threadTree [data-properties~="unread"] { -moz-appearance: none !important; color: #FF0000 !important; } #folderTree .children { font-size: 10px; font-family: Tahoma; } #threadTree .children { font-size: 16px; font-family: Tahoma; }

Reply to
Bob Henson

Join the club of people who are unhappy with the complete rewrite. Blind people are also messed up on email as well and shortcuts that don't work properly. In my view they have released it merely to get the general public to debug it by sending them the info, but if you rely on it, I'd suggest downdating to 102, and if you want to try the new versions, download one of the portable builds to play with as it will not affect your working version. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Update Although unread articles now have red text until read what I have in the userChrome.css file is only a partial solution.

Previously if I collapsed a thread the text of the collapsed thread was red if any article in that thread was unread. This allowed easy identification of a thread that had a new reply. This no longer happens UNLESS the first article in the thread is also unread.

Reply to
alan_m

what about matching attribute hasUnread as well as unread?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Slightly better in that the collapsed thread is now in red text if it contains an unread message.

What now happens is that all messages in a thread are red text if only one message is unread. The read messages are also red text.

I've followed many web links about the .css file and have yet to find any sensible guide about what can be changed in 115.3.1. I have found many people complaining about their existing css file no longer working.

Reply to
alan_m

The "policies.json" file addition doesn't seem to work in 102.

The settings has a thing to show what version is available, but without installing it. And, it does not seem to be staged either. They don't seem to have downloaded the update file (whether a .mar or a .exe) .

[Picture] Tests done on Win10Pro and TBird 102

To turn on the Menu Bar in TBird, right clicking the area near the top of the window, reveals a menu with a Menu Bar option. At least, it's still in 102.

Paul

Reply to
Paul