My 64 bit Mesh machine switches off after about 10 sec.

Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.

Reply to
Richardmerri

10 Sec sounds like over heating.

Open up the case and see if the fan is spinning, flick it with your fingers if it isn't, etc.

Hoover the heat sink if it looks dirty.

Caveat not that I know anything about it.

Reply to
Pancho

I meant CPU fan, not case fan.

Reply to
Pancho

Do the fans run?

Reply to
dennis

That's about 10 years old, and there may be hardware issues with the motherboard or PSU.

The usual way to deal with this is to try each of these steps in order:

Clean all the dust out of the case. Run the PC with the side cover off - are all the fans running? Reseat all the RAM, and push all the plugs on the board in properly. Check the motherboard for blown caps. Replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Replace the CMOS battery + reset the CMOS Disconnect as much as possible from the motherboard, eg the hard disks, USB devices, DVDROM, graphics card (if there's onboard graphics), leave minimum RAM - try to get down to the minimum configuration that will POST. Swap in a known-good PSU.

When you've done that please let us know the results.

Reply to
GB

Ten seconds is a little short in my view. Some kind of psu fault? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have to say that I had an amd 64 bit machine running windows7 then8 then

10, one day it started to do this. The psu had gone but took the motherboard with it. Salvaged still intact ram and an hd and dvd, chucked the rest away. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

At a guess it is so loaded up with gaming hardware the PSU cant cope

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Grateful thanks to everyone... I had to be away for awhile but now I can respond to all the points mentioned... Both CPU and Case fans are running okay, there was some, but not much, dust in the CPU heatsink but all that has been cleaned when removing the processor. The motherboard appears to be physically 'sound' with no blown caps. I have run the machine with minimum load on the PSU and with covers removed but still the same delinquent behaviour... The actual delay is circa 12/16 seconds. I had a similar problem about six years ago when the machine simply shut down without warning after one to four hours and the solution at that time was to replace the PSU. So my strategy now is to obtain a known good PSU as GB suggests so I'll replace the 500W version with a 600W new from eBay?? I will keep everyone apprised.

Thanks again and kindest to regards all... Richard.

Reply to
Richardmerri

Get a decent PSU.

Reply to
GB

I think that is a reaopsnable way to proceed.

PSUs will shuit down on overcurrent or overtemperature and the way they measure both is via components that can age.

If it still shows this behavior after a new PSU is installed ny guess would ne that smomethhing is loading it up, and here its a question of unplugging peripherals and any boards until the pronblem goes away or if it doesn't, new motherbaord time

Really doing a binary chop on the hardware is the simplest way to id a device thats sucking power. Removing teh disks for example should result in a machine that boots to te bios. If it stays up, try adding disks back one by one - you get the idea.

A wet afternoon and plenty of coffee is helpful

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a PC that shut down about 6s after start - it was the 'Turbo' button permanently made, so the PSU was shut down after the set time for power-down on pressing that button or tha Start button. I just isolated it as I never used it. Your time is too long for that, so possibly the PSU. I always fit a good Seasonic from mid-range or above. This one is 400W - way OTT and runs at about 100W even of starting, but it never gets hot or overloaded. Idling is a bit less than 10% of PSU. It wasn't possible to get both the quality that I wanted and a 200W one.

Reply to
PeterC

Recently I have had the power button sticking down, so the machine turns on, but soon trys to reset and can't move on from there.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

WD40!

Reply to
PeterC

Any suggestions or recommendations for a DECENT PSU??

Reply to
Richardmerri

A company that honors its guarantees.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or

power and the best that you're willing to pay. I built a PC for a friend about 14 - 15 years ago; it's not in a clean place and it's still going - with odd bits of fettling. Seasonic makes PSUs for some other companies but the build varies of course. Best component to fit is a v. good PSU - it's the one thing that can take out just about everything in/around a PC.

Reply to
PeterC

The fact you are having to replace a 4 year old generic PSU suggests that buying a decent brand may be a good idea. Also, you may not need such a powerful one in a decent brand. What have you got loaded into the machine that makes you think you need a 600w PSU?

I agree with buying Seasonic/FPS. Good makes.

Reply to
GB

In general serious gaming video cards are power eaters

that peaks at nearly 400W!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh Dear... The case has changed!! The switch off delay has today changed to just 3 seconds after switch on! And, I have obtained a PSU which is now in the machine but THE SYMPTOMS ARE THE SAME :-( So, it appears that the mobo is sending a 'shut down' signal to the PSU almost immediately (3s) after switch on, I suspect that some (small?) component on the mobo has failed but it is nigh on impossible to identify which component. I have used a large magnifier to inspect every component on the mobo but to no avail, nothing looks untoward! So it is looking like a new mobo or new machine here.

Richard.

Reply to
Richardmerri