Why a newsreader?

Page 2 of 2
RogerT wrote:

Hmm. I use Comcast for internet connectivity but Earthlink is my ISP.
Earthlink provides GigaNews as part of its service, no extra charge.

A "newsreader" is the client software that you run on your computer to read Usnet articles. "Agent" and "Gravity" are examples of "newsREADERS".
A "News server" is the thing in the cloud that the news reader connects to, to serve the articles to your newsREADER. Most newsREADERS are free, with the obvious exception of Agent. News SERVERS include "ThunderNews", "GigaNews", "Individual", and the one run by the makers of Agent, "Agent Premium News". Individual is cheap, about $14 a year, though doesn't have binary groups. ThunderNews is around $7/month, IIRC, and APN is $3/month for 15GB. *ANY* of which is better than Googlie Groups.

You don't need to upgrade. There are many other free news readers, as well.

As mentioned before, Xnews is free. Astraweb has great retention, and I am still using the subscription I paid $10 for in June in 2008. From this subscription of 25GB downloads I have so far used 1 GB.
So this cost me so far less than $0.30/month, and it is fully paid up with 95% of the paid for access still available.

I use FREE AOL, and honestly dont understand what a news reader is..........
it comes up as http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home
I have had my AOL e mail address at least 15 years it works fine and is easy to remember

is..........
One of the advantages of a news reader is that you can pre-select the groups you're interested in reading daily, then when you open the news reader it automatically downloads all the new messages on only the groups you are interested in and displays them a group at a time. Much easier than having to navigate to each group you are interested in like in Google Groups.

There are *many* reasons not to use Googlie Groups, but that's not one. GG keeps each newsgroup you're "subscribed" to separate, too. The format is horrid and the tools nonexistent, but it does keep them separate so you can view one at a time.

I'll take your word for it as I have never used Google Groups myself.
alt.home.repair:

You are mistaken - you don't use AOL to read newsgroups, you are using Google groups. As far as I know, AOL hasn't had its own Usenet service since 2005.

Your email host isn't relevant to this discussion.
Higgs Boson wrote:

I use Thunderbird, Version 2.0.0.24 or something like that. I don't care for the Ver 3x, to many bells and whistles. My ISP has newsgroups included but they were having problems and got so slow that I eventually went to http://www.aioe.org/ it's free, it's fast, it has some limits that I've never exceeded. Text only... And that's how I do it......

> Or do people pay for a newsreader to follow the news, period. If the > latter, why not just go to news sources on-line?
Who/What asked you to pay for a newsgroup reader?
At least Thunderbird, Outlook Express, & Window$ Live are free!
--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!