Which direction to lay laminate flooring

I'm seeing some contradictory information regarding this issue.

I've read that the rule of thumb is to lay plank flooring perpendicular to the main light source (typically a window). However, I've also read that in certain situations it is desirable to lay it along the longest point of the room.

In our case, we're doing two very small bedrooms -- each roughly 10' x

10'.5" -- with a 5' (wide) x 32" (tall) window opposite each entry door.

As I envision it, it seems awkward to have the planks running from the door to toward the window, as the twin beds in each room will run along the (slightly longer) length of the room. Therefore, I "see" laying the flooring the length of the room.

Does this sound acceptable? I don't want it to look dorky.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Dee

Have you downloaded installation instructions or called up manufacturer? I've always used length of room. I suppose lite source is issue regarding seams showing up but good click laminate has almost invisible seams these days.

Reply to
Art

Perfectly acceptable. With nailed hardwood flooring, you always ran it according to the beams, but laminate does not care as it is a surface material. Perpendicular to the window and door will have the best appearance.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Andrew Duane