Which direction to lay laminate flooring?

We are just finishing an extension to our hall. The extension is about

2 metres square, followed by part of the original hall about 1.2m wide by 1.8m long, after which it widens out again.to an area about 1.5 m long by 2m wide.

I will lay 83mm wide solid oak floring as a floating floor.

Should the planks run the length of the hall (total of about 5.3m) or across the width of the hall? The aim is to make the narrowest part look as wide as possible.

What doues the team think?

Malcolm Race

Reply to
Malcolm

The lenght of the hall.

Cue the objectors.

Reply to
George

Any way that suits you.

But remember the visual effect it can produce.

Laying it down the hall is easier but will make it look long and narrow.

Reply to
EricP

For best overall appearance, the planks need to run along the 5.3m length. That won't necessarily meet your objective of making the narrow bit look wider - but the whole thing will definitely look wrong if you put the plants from side to side.

[I assume that you aren't the OP since you're talking about solid oak rather than laminate - but the same principles apply]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Laying them across the hall should, so some say, make the hall look wider BUT you'll have a lot of waste which isn't good for several reasons.

And how many people will look at the floor? And does it really matter?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A compromise might be to lay the boards diagonally.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hey! That would look really good :-) Wish I'd thought of saying that.

When we dispose of the last carpet in the house (in the hall) I hope I remember ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lay some out loose & see where you will have to cut (along the length) boards. If you run the boards along the hall you will have a few boards to rip down & a narrower strip along one side.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How was the cruise, Mary?

Reply to
Bruce

Don't you also need to consider how light will impinge on the new surface? ISTR advice that you should avoid joints, which may vary in height, set at right angles to the light.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It depends on whether you want to tie the areas together visually or separate them. To make it look like a long hall with a bulge at either end, lay them lengthways. To make it look like two square-ish areas with a short connecting passage, lay them crossways.

Another approach would be to go to a flooring shop that has a suitable computer and ask them to show you what the two approaches will look like.

Incidentally can it really be "solid oak" *and* "laminate"?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Why waste? More joints possibly.

Not much point in using a posh wood, then. Just leave the original floorboards bare. Same with walls etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look, if you want a detailed account you'll have to mail me. I can't restrain myself to a few words on Usenet!

It was fabulous - what's more Spouse, who was determined not to enjoy it, is now talking about our next one :-)

AND he's admitting that he was wrong.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher