My "frost-free" freezer is frosting up

Refrigerator:

Manufacturer: Whirlpool Model: ET20GMXFN01 S/N: EH0313131 Mfg. Date: 01-98

Whirlpool refrigerator with upper frost-free freezer compartment

Okay, so a month or so ago I had a similar problem. I took everything out of the freezer and gave it a good cleaning. I had way too much stuff in there, so I threw out quite a bit. At the time, I could feel cold air coming through the freezer vents. I also cleaned the coils under the refrigerator and inspected the door seal. There were no cracks or gaps, etc. So I reloaded the freezer and made sure the air vents were not blocked. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the frost starting to build up on the top front area. This would be the area directly in front of the door when it is closed. I now have large frosted icicles accumulating in this area.

The food in the freezer is frozen and the refrigerator compartment keeps food cold. How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced? How do I access the fan compartment? If it turns out that the fan is not the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door seal. However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option because it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door is closed.

Reply to
Baylynx

No. Learn about the defrost timer.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Defrost timer or the defrost heater(s).

Reply to
Meat Plow

When those go bad, the compartment frosts at the back wall.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The door seal is the only choice that makes sense. Fan, and defrost equipment would make the freezer frost at the back wall.

How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced?

CY: Bad evaporator fan, you won't hear it run while the fridge is running. Open the freezer, and push the door button, see if you can hear it. You mentioned feeling cold air, so that's not likely. Also if the refrig is cold, the fan isn't the problem.

How : do I access the fan compartment?

CY: Typically take all the food and shelves out of the freezer. Take the back wall out of the freezer.

If it turns out that the fan is not : the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door seal.

CY: Well, there are other problems that can be the case. From what you describe, it's a bad door seal.

: However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option because : it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door is : closed. :

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Guess I didn't comprehend what I read.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:35:37 -0700, Baylynx wrote:f

Level the fridge.

Then I recommend you do a dollar bill test all around the seal.

Something is holding the door open slightly to allow moist air to enter your freezer and frost up.

Reply to
valvejob

Based on all the input, a faulty fan or defrost timer makes the back wall frost up. That's not the case here. I'll try the dollar bill test. I presume you mean that a dollar bill should not slip under the rubber gasket?

Reply to
Baylynx

That, and I think they mean when the door is shut on the bill, there should be resistance to pulling it out. But isn't a bill too wide for a good test like that? Couldn't there be resistance on the outer 2 thirds but a big gap on the inner third?

Reply to
mm