What size electrical junction box fits a 1-inch diameter cable anyway?

Page 3 of 7

Note: boxes are described buy their nominal size ....like a 4" box or by a "gang" ..like single gang, double gang, etc The threaded hole callouts are secondary to box size.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 14:07:52 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

Actually, the plan is to put the old 3/4 inch conduit into the junction box with a straight-through connector.
Then, coming out of the junction box, will be half-inch conduit that goes to the motors, with a straight through half inch connector on the end that screws into the motor body.
My only problem right now is figuring out why the 3/4 inch conduit doesn't fit into the 3/4 inch holes of the box. It makes no sense unless I'm assuming something that isn't the case (which it must be).
On May 15, 2:07 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm not sure what we're looking at in the pic. On the left, is there a bushing inside that conduit? That's what it looks like to me, a 3/4 conduit with a bushing inside. And what are you showing the end of on the right? The old fitting that went over the conduit on the left? If so, then what that appears to me is some different kind of liquidtight fitting that uses a seperate bushing inside the conduit and then the fitting itself goes over the conduit.

On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:22:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm not sure what the yellow thing is but here is a side view:

It turns out that, with experience, the whole thing turns out to be comprised of half-inch fittings!
1. The half-inch conduit ... 2. ... had a half-inch nut ... 3. ... which held a half-inch elbow ... 4. ... which was screwed into a half-inch hole in the motor!
Note: The plastic nut, plastic elbow, and gray conduit are all one inch in diameter; but they're still considered half inch equipment, apparently.

.
And right on the conduit in the pic is black lettering. Doesn't that say that it's 1/2"? Or, if that piece isn't readable, isn't there another section there that is?
On Thu, 16 May 2013 05:47:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes. You are correct.
It *clearly* states it is 1/2 inch conduit, in fact.

I just hadn't read it because I was sure I had *measured* it (via the elbow) at 1 inch.
I was wrong.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:22:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I removed the elbows off the old conduit, and only then did I realize what the yellow and white parts actually were:

Ahah! I knew something wasn't right with the end of that conduit we were looking at. It's as I suspected, there was a bushing inside it. The inside hole diameter was too small, the wall way to thick for it to be liquidtight conduit.
On Fri, 17 May 2013 05:29:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm confused. I see that it's a multi-piece elbow connector, but are you saying the original setup wasn't water tight?

NEMA 3R equipment is weather resistant but not really water tight. The boxes will accumulate water if the rain hits them directly, particularly after the gaskets start to degrade. A lot of guys will drill a small hole at the lowest part to allow water to drain out. That is why anything outside or underground is called a wet location.

No. Just that the picture that you showed us of the end of the conduit did not look like liquidtight conduit of any size. The hole was small, the wall was way to thick. That's why I said it looks like it has a bushing in it, which was correct.
On 5/15/2013 1:36 AM, Danny D wrote:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/npt-national-pipe-taper-threads-d_750.html
On 5/15/2013 1:36 AM, Danny D wrote:

You have a piece of 3/4" nonmetallic flex. It looks like you have a 1/2" X 90 degree NM flex connector. You need a 3/4" NM flex connector. The larger threaded side of the connector is not pipe threads. it only threads onto the tightening nut that goes on the NM flex. If you want to install the 3/4" into the box with 1" openings, you'll need a 1" x 3/4" threaded bushing.

ide flexible conduit to what was

:

+1
Also, I would use a box twice that size. You have 6 wires entering the box, which is probably close to the limit for that box. It's also being put in to allow easy disconnect of the motor, so having some extra room is a good thing. And a larger box would allow for the addition of another wire if you decide to go to a dual speed pump at some point.

wide flexible conduit to what was

ox:

"

text -

Actually, I went back and looked at the pics again. I thought it was a smaller box, but now I see it looks like we're looking at the side of the box. If it's about 4x4, that's what I had in mind.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 06:11:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It's the biggest box they had.
I really wanted three holes in each side (one for each motor).
A lesson learned is that the only thing this pipe cutter turned out to be good for was for cutting the conduit (but a smaller irrigation cutter would have worked even better):

Unlike the useless pipe cutter though, the wire strippers and the wire crimper seemed to do the job quite nicely:

In fact, they did so well, I'm wondering if it would be to code to mate the female spade connectors to male spade connectors instead of cutting off the ends to wire nut them?

Regular old yellow wirenuts should be fine.
One tip, Point them up so they do not collect water and arrange them so they are not in the bottom of the box.

*You are confusing trade sizes with actual dimensions of the conduit. Your flex has some writing on the outside of it which should include the trade size.
I have put together a chart of the actual dimensions of some conduits, however it does not have the flexible type that you have listed yet. The other conduit dimensions may give you an idea of what size you really need. http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversioncharts/pipeconduit.html
On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:36:49 -0400, "John Grabowski"

Carflex is the same size as the same trade size in PVC
On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:36:49 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

LESSON LEARNED:
The old cable clearly says it's 1/2 inch cable on it, had I only looked!

In hindsight, I was lulled into complacency because I could easily measure the fat end of the original elbow at an exact 1 inch, so, it seemed so natural that the conduit was one inch that I didn't doublecheck.
It was only when the one inch box didn't fit, and the 3/4 inch box didn't fit either, that I took a second look at the problem.
Even then, it's wholly unnatural that both sides of that elbow were actually 1/2 inch connectors!