What is "Acrylic" Paint?`

Page 2 of 2

Thanks

The word "latex" means the liquid that comes out of certain plants, like rubber trees and milkweed. The word "latex" on paint refers to a synthetic form of latex that is used as a binder.
Latex in no way or context means "emulsion", except in the mind of Kinch. Look it all up in a dictionary. Kinch is a usenet kook, who also believes that WD-40 is a healthy thing to drink. That may be why he comes up with all these other strange and erroneous posts.
Kinch will no doubt reply to this post, but as I said, the dictionary is your friend. Kinch is not.
rusty redcloud
Red Cloud wrote:

I'm no chemist but his post certainly seems accurate to me. Dang site better than people thinking latex paint is made with rubber (even though the miserable stuff sands as if it were).
LATEX A milky-white, fine dispersion of a solid resin in an aqueous medium. Also used to describe water-thinned paints, the principal vehicle of which is latex.
LATEX PAINT #1 Paint containing colloidal binder particles formed by emulsion polymerization. A common term for water-based and water-reducible coatings.
EMULSION #1 Liquid droplets dispersed in another immiscible liquid.
EMULSION #2 A colloid in which both phases are liquids
LATEX PAINT #2 Water-based paint made with a synthetic binder (latex), such as acrylic, vinyl acrylic, or styrene acrylic latex.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

???
Your definitions say Kinch is wrong. Review what he said, and then have someone parse these definitions for you.
"Latex" is not an emulsion. SYNTHETIC latex is used as one ingredient of an emulsion that is included in so-called latex paint.
rusty redcloud
Red Cloud writes:

"The formulation of an emulsion paint consists basically of combining pigment and latex. The term latex originally meant the milky juice of certain plants, but has been adopted by the industry to denote a suspension of polymer particles in water."
-- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, "Paint"
Now shut up, you contemptible, foolish, pathetically inimical, lying, anonymous-coward troll. Leave the advice-giving to those of us with intelligence, education, and experience, and the guts to honestly identify ourselves.
3rd eye wrote:

OK, "acrylic" paints are acrylic latex but not all latex paints have acrylic. Happy?
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
yeah, you're right. i stand corrected.
excap wrote:

You've got good answers and bad answers, so I won't add to the confusion. Go here or do a google search:
http://www.sutherlands.com/terms.html