Acrylic paint

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast

- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat & gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

Reply to
yitzak

I was once told by an old joiner that it's traditional to use only primer for sash window "runners".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

See your point - not sticking - but esp near the bottom you need a wipeable surface - otherwise primer goes grey with dust.

Reply to
yitzak

Acrylic gloss is only fit for interior use at present. Decorators like the acrylic undercoat (or often acrylic primer undercoat) because it means they can get two coats (undercoat and gloss) applied in a day and the gloss can dry overnight.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Just pop down to your local decorators merchant. Not your local large DIY B&Q place.

If it's any thing like our local one it will have every brand of paint, stain etc on earth - no matter how obscure.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Most of the sheds do acrylic gloss branded as Stay White or somesuch. A nasty synthetic shine, not unlike a plastic bag, with virtually zero resistance to wear and bad adhesion to surfaces that aren't perfect. However, it doesn't yellow with age and looks fine from a distance so is ideal for stuff you need a ladder to get to. I use acrylic undercoat all the time but usually topcoat with oil based gloss. The only way you can tell the products apart on the shelf now is the "quick drying" label, oh and the price.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I am considering using white acrylic eggshell for interior doors and staircase. Are there any advantages or disadvantages over an oil based eggshell paint?

Regards

Reply to
newman

Advantages (of water based acrylic):

Easier to paint (opinions do vary, however) Environmentally friendlier Does not yellow with age Does not stink Fewer nasty chemicals

Disadvantages:

Less hard wearing Less easy to clean

I always use water based acrylic myself, as the environmental aspect is of high importance to me.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I heard somewhere that within a few years all paint will be water based, even the likes of hammerite.

Reply to
Scabbydug

I like it too (and TBH I'm not particularly fussed about the eco-aspect I'm afraid). I'd add:

Advantages: Easier to clean up equipment/spills/overpainting and easier to stay clean while painting! Dries very quickly

Disadvantages: Pretty expensive compared with oil-based.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Emulsion technology has a long way to go before they'll be a match for solvent based paints. The resins exist but they need a controlled environment to cure, restricting their use mainly to industry. IIRC some car manufacturers use water based paints.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Dries quicker, too. A lot quicker.

Reply to
Guy King