Painting the shed.

Last year, I painted the shed with some shed and fence paint from the local builders merchants. I applied 3 coats.

After the winter, most had washed off. It must have been really crap stuff.

I am now toying with the idea of painting the shed with gloss paint. Afterall, we used to use it on wooden door and window frames.

People have told me that I can't do that because I have now used the other crap stuff. I thought, if I give the shed a sand down with some rough sand paper to give it a key, it should be ok.

What do you think.....?

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

these shed and fence paints are usually water based, that is to say they are wood preserver disolved in water, once the water evapourates, the wood preserver is left behind, the colourant is also usually water based and this will 'wash off' but the preservative won't

The preservative won't affect any gloss paint you decide to use over the top, but if it's decorative properties you are looking for rather than protection, why not use a better quality shed/fence paint?

Reply to
Phil L

It depends...

Some of the wood preservatives contain waxes to make water run off the surface. If the preservative was one of the wax based ones then painting over it can be difficult because the gloss paint won't adhere to the wood. It needs rubbing down and priming and possibly an undercoat (depending on primer) not just a top coat. An acrylic primer/undercoat which is also water based might well work.

A few decades ago I would have used "Ranch Paint" which was excellent stuff for sheds and fences but I don't know if it is still available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I would have used creosote but it was banned a few years go, unfortunately Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

I bought a 20 litre drum of it on Friday. (for my farm, of course) ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thought they banned it because it was carcinogenic ?

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It probably is, but only to retail customers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

almost as good

definitely a better idea then a modern gloss paint.

Reply to
Mark

Naturally.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What, wholesale customers can't get cancer? :o)

Reply to
Huge