Acrylic Paint

Went into B & Q this weekend and asked for acrylic paint - as advised by this group for non-yellowing in bathroom. The guy on the paint stand couldn't tell me where it was, just said "any paint that says water based or quick drying". Is this right? Should acrylic paint say "acrylic" somewhere on the tin? How is it best identified?

B & Q's store staff are set up as authorities on their products and their application. This edification (might be wrong word!) concerns me when I have had duff advice on plumbing issues in the past. Mostly I guess it's just inconvenient when you have to take the wrong stuff back, but for electrical issues this is scary!

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yes. "Low odour quick drying" gloss is acrylic. If you want to see the word "acrylic" on the tin, then go to a Dulux Trade decorator centre, where you can get Glidden Acrylic.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:36:40 +0100, "TheScullster" wrote: #

Water-based paints can be based on vinylic emulsions such as PVA or on acrylic emulsions. There are also paints based on animal glue or vegetable resins, but these are mostly for heritage builsings. Vinylic emulsions are less expensive so "economy" paints tend to be based on them. I do not believe there is any statutory requirement that paints should have their binder type identified, but as a guide acrylic emulsions are used in water-based gloss paints as they tend to form a shinier film than vinylics. In any case vinylics are good for non-yellowing, but tend to be less scrubbable. Most manufacturers have a technical helpline which will provide guidance.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt