What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

Page 2 of 2

On May 13, 11:32 am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

I actually come across this situation fairly often at work (customers marking product with Sharpie and then finding out that they are NFG and need warranty replacements, then I need to clean them so we get credit from supplier who will not accept parts with any writing/ marking on them) and what i've found to work the best is getting the marker wet with isopropyl alcohol and then scrubbing of what doesn't come off with alcohol alone with one of those white plastic draftsman's erasers (the ones that are little white rectangles about the size of a typical Pink Pearl, but pure white plastic. Staedtler is the brand name that comes to mind, but there's likely a generic knockoff available at Staples, Office Depot, etc. A Pink Pearl might work, but I can only recommend the white ones, because that's what I have in my desk drawer.)
I have run across parts that will not come clean by anything I've tried, I guess there must be some new kind of really, really permanent marker out there (but it's rare that I get those) I just send 'em back and hope that we get credit for them, not worth my time to try anything more involved to clean up a $40 part.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

The real question is not what will lift the Sharpie, just about any "hot" solvent will do that (lacquer thinner, acetone, xylene or trichloroethane) the question is what will not hurt the particular plastic you are dealing with. Each plastic is different. Goof Off is basically xylene and is OK on most plastics but test an out of the way place first.
Add pictures here
✖
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

If it's a Sharpie, they use an alcohol-based carrier. Buy a quart of denatured ethanol at the paint store to remove it.
If it's another brand of permanent marker, you're on your own.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

permanent marker from ANYTHING. Available from most office supply stores.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

This product has 5 versions, for various uses. I've used #2 to get permanent red maker off painted doors.
#3 states:
.."Works On:
Ball Point Pen & Inks • Permanent Markers • Nail Polish • Hair Dyes • Newsprint • Pencil Marks • Stamp Pad Inks • India Ink • Correction Fluid • Fountain Pen Inks • Highlighters & More!"
Safe on plastic.
http://liftoffinc.com/product-ink-remover.php
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/13/2010 10:32 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

try brake cleaner
--
Steve Barker
✖
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

My husband used a green 3M scrubber to remove perm. marker from a painted wall...to my amazement, there is no sign of dullness on the wall afterward. Good 'ole Ben Moore alkyd paint :o)
I use a Sharpie marker to mark freezer packages...couple of times the marker has bled purple onto the kitchen counter when it got wet while food was thawing.
Add pictures here
✖

norminn I have done that also on Formica counter top. Diluted bleach will clean it up or use full strength bleach. ww
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 11:32 am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

GOOF OFF, if this doent take it off probably nothing that wont ruin the piece will work.Acetone would be the next step up.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

Try sanding it off