What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

I use Laquer thinner alot, to clean plastic before painting, never hurt any of it.

Reply to
ransley

Yes. The concern is that solvent in the marker plasticized the surface allowing the dye to penetrate. Would make it difficult to remove with solvent which is why I suggest bleach to de-colorize. If carbon black, may be impossible to remove except by buffing it out.

Just yesterday, I was showing my wife how to remove stains from a plastic cutting board with bleach as nothing she had tried was working. Works best by soaking or leaving wet for a while.

Reply to
Frank

My husband used a green 3M scrubber to remove perm. marker from a painted wall...to my amazement, there is no sign of dullness on the wall afterward. Good 'ole Ben Moore alkyd paint :o)

I use a Sharpie marker to mark freezer packages...couple of times the marker has bled purple onto the kitchen counter when it got wet while food was thawing.

Reply to
norminn

There is a reason they call it a permanent marker. Unless you can fade it out with bleach (which may still weaken it), I suspect any solvent that will work, will leave the plastic in a fragile state with a rough surface. They make spray-paints for plastic. Just out of curiosity, what is it? If it something dirt-cheap like a plastic chair, I'd just demote it to far-backyard use and forget about it.

Reply to
aemeijers

Most paint thinners are "mineral spirits". I think mineral spirits is a very old name. A quart at Walmart set you back about six bucks. Rather flammable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

GOOF OFF, if this doent take it off probably nothing that wont ruin the piece will work.Acetone would be the next step up.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Try sanding it off

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Mineral spirits are the same as paint thinner but has been refined a bit more and has less odor. Both are petroleum products. Turpentine is used similarly but is made from pine tree resin, not petroleum. None have alcohol.

Reply to
dadiOH

I am surprised nobody has said WD40

Reply to
gfretwell

norminn I have done that also on Formica counter top. Diluted bleach will clean it up or use full strength bleach. ww

Reply to
WW