Remove permanent marker ink

I have been repurposing a Pilot CD/DVD marker to mark cutting lines on B&Q melamine furniture boards. It does that well but getting it off afterwards is a pain.

Obviously I have tried Dettol surface cleaner, meths, petrol and a white spongy stuff from Israel. Brilliant for most things.

But either it didn't work or took ages. Has anyone found a better solution?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

I have found that wetting the marks with more of the same (it doesn't have to be the same colour) and wiping QUICKLY with a dry cloth is usually successful.

A tiny bit at a time, obviously.

Reply to
JNugent

Use a dry marker pen instead. They are intended to wipe off cleanly.

The solvent based permanent markers have a nasty habit of finding their way into any point defects in the surface they are used on. DVD pens are somewhat less aggressive than some but they are intended to be permanent and as such will key into many sorts of shiny plastic surface.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Permanent marker pen removal = IPA – Isopropyl Alcohol

labels wd40 = the light lubricant keeps the label wet enough for long enough for the glue to break down - paper labels spray on wait 10 minutes and peel off and then clean to prevent staining. Plastic labels spray while peeling to get the wd40 under the plastic.

Reply to
alan_m

One joke that is often used in offices, is to substitute a permanent marker for a dry-wipe one in a meeting room, causing much consternation when they try to wipe it off the whiteboard and then examine the marker.

Once they have panicked for a moment, you just go over it with a dry-wipe marker and wipe it all off.

Reply to
SteveW

What about IPA? I guess there is a lesson here, permanent markers have a clue in their name. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think the OP was referring to a matrix drawn with a permanent marker, within which a dry marker can be used for temporary information (eg, diaries, room bookings, etc). This is often seen in offices.

Reply to
JNugent

Don’t use a permanent marker in the first place. If you need to mark temporary lines use the beige masking tape where you need your line and draw on that when finished just peel off the tape lines, marking all gone no mess.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I would expect an alcohol or alkane solvent (IPA, meths, petrol) would dissolve the marker line. IPA is probably best since it doesn't have the dye/scent of meths, and may be a bit less flammable and less like to damage a surface than petrol. Do it outdoors (or at least with a window open to give a good through-draught) and keep away from naked flames and sparks - or is that teaching granny to suck eggs? ;-) And try not to breathe the fumes too much ;-)

Reply to
NY

My best solution was lighter fluid (petrol).

Reply to
pinnerite