Been using diary's ribbon marker wrongly for years?

This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right corner. It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

I thought the idea was that the covers can be opened when the ribbon is on the lower part of the long edge.

I was thinking I should remove the ribbon and glue in a longer replacement when I wondered if this just as matter of "Badly Made in China" or ...

... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

Reply to
Bill F

That certainly puts my life into perspective.

mark

Reply to
mark

Don't worry about it. My very nice high-quality 2009 desk diary has the sponsoring business' name blocked onto the front, and a ribbon with "2007" woven into it. As a result of the ribbon, the whole batch went into a skip and were reprinted(?!) and rebound with the right year's ribbon in it.

(Of course you don't think I paid _money_ for it do you?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill F saying something like:

I've always laid the ribbon down the spine end of the page and every ribbon is long enough for that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Open your front door, and go find a life

Reply to
Gizmo.

How can he go out without knowing what appointments are in his diary that he may miss ? Until "Ribbongate" is solved I'd certainly be wary of making any hasty planning decisions.

Reply to
Woby Tide

Remove old ribbon with angle grinder.

Attach new one with sticky-as-hell-stuff-in-a-tube.

Any damage can be repaired with car body filler.

Reply to
Rod

He's tied to the house.

Reply to
PeterC

Indeed - as long as the leash is under the door he can move about - trouble is it's just too short to get round the bottom corner of the door so he can't do anything sensible. Such is life...

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Should I replace my inneficient day in view with a condensing week per page version?

What about a combi address book and diary?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

But how do you open it with the ribbon if it's not long enouogh to pull to one side to give the leverage neccessary?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

What protective gear is required for diary work?

Is there any scope for squirty foam? Has anyone suffered amusing diary accidents, where February was blown up to the size of July by over-generous application?

Do I need to notify the BCO? Who is a Competent Diarist for such work? Do I need an extra certificate if I want to use shorthand?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reminds me back when I worked for GEC Computers Ltd. On 1st April 1988, the company name changed to GPT Computers Ltd, following a tie up between GEC and Plessey. The powers that be were very strict that we couldn't use the old name from that date. One of the things which was still in regular use back in those days were the IC pads (Internal Communication), which were preprinted pads with the company name at the top, some boxes to fill out the sender and recipients, etc, and space for whatever the messages was. Anyway, we had to have the whole lot reprinted because the comany name changed. So they did a giant order, and a pallet load of boxes full of the IC pads duely arrived -- all with the old company name on them because no one thought to actually change that! It joined the half pallet load left of the old ones and sat in a warehouse for 12 years until the site closed. I only became aware of the saga at that point, and helped myself to a box of these old IC pads as the warehouse was being emplied out into the skip. I've still got some of them, and they are still used as scrap notepads.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Anyone thinking the OP was plumbing the depths of "interesting". There's a new challenger in town ;)

Reply to
Woby Tide

If his life doesn't stretch to the lower right corner, he won't be able to open the door.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Would that be a condensing combi address book and diary?

Reply to
fictitious

On Fri 13Feb 21:51, Woby Tide wrote

Guess bookbinding won't ever be as exciting as a video game, especially to juvenile, but bookbinding is a craft.

If you appreciate a well made book then you may have posted something more useful. :(

Reply to
Bill F

Having worked as a bookbinder in the past, I'm well aware it's a craft.

Alas however I couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for ribbon lengths or internal note pads.

Reply to
Woby Tide