what coffee maker won't I have to repurchase in a few years?

Page 2 of 2

At last, a man who brews coffee properly. Kudos, Jon.
Jon Danniken wrote:

Boil what kind of water? I use multi-stage filtered/RO with UV light water. Drink only a cup un the morning. Rest of all day I drink all kind of tea.
SMS wrote:

hey, that's a good tip. just checked their web site, sure enough they sell replacement parts. Already have a couple of their other kitchen things - I'm sure that at least the rice cooker is from them - as the girlie's mom is Japanese, and they sell a lot of Japanese cooking type stuff. Don't recall a problem with anything, and she's had at least the rice cooker since college, I'm pretty sure.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yeah, that's one nice think about Zojirushi, they're pretty good about spare parts, even small parts. I've got a bread maker, hot water boiler, and coffee maker from them. I'll likely replace the old rice cooker with a Zojirushi as well.
I seem to recall a review about that coffee maker that mentioned that it was one of the few where the hot water going up through a hose that passed through the water reservoir did not cool it so much to affect brewing. Still, I often flip the hot water spout back over the reservoir for a couple of minutes to recirculate the water to warm it up so the coffee is hotter.

Do the REALLY eco-friendly thing and forget the timer. Set it up the night before, punch the button when you head into the shower, and then TURN OFF the coffeemaker and pour the entire pot into a stainless steel coffee warmer when you get out of the shower. The contents stay hot all day, the container costs about $8 and lasts forever, and the coffee tastes great all day because it's not being over heated for hours.
tmclone wrote:

That's what the one I have does, but automatically.
Unfortunately, the only way to pour out the coffee now is to unscrew the lid from the carafe, which isn't really that big a deal, but annoying - so I figured I'd buy a new lid. The result of that attempt (which I figured would take a couple minutes of keyboard time) is this thread.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I buy the cheapest Mr Coffee maker. They last 6-15 years, used twice daily. But, I turn it off immediately after each brewing. Sometimes you can find a Mr Coffee pot at a garage sale for cheap.
Nate Nagel wrote:

also want to think about a "single serve" brewer. I have a Senseo that takes a minute or so for the water to heat up and then about 30 seconds to make a cup of coffee. Second cup would be another 30 seconds. And since you make each cup fresh, you don't have to worry with the thermal carafe or a heating element under the carafe. I just brew directly into my mug.
My Senseo is admittedly a low end model. There are other SS machines that have lots of bells and whistles, including timers. There are models that take pods and ones that use those plastic cups. If she likes the eco-friendly part, she'd probably prefer the pods.
Informative forum at http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com .
Nate Nagel wrote:

Black and Decker (!) has a line of halfway decent automatic drip coffee makers that, feature for feature, are about half the price of the brands that are better known for this category.
on 10/18/2009 1:33 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote the following:

B&D appliances are GEs
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The prices are not the same, regardless of who may have made them.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:17:45 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

BTDT, with a Bodum one. Piece of crap; the surface of the heating plate started to rust quickly, the valve that's supposed to shut things off unless the pot's underneath broke in a couple of weeks, the pipework within the heating element part filled up with sediment. The rubber feet fell off, then the glass pot suddenly cracked one day (without being hit on anything).
I've looked around the stores, but everything seems to be equally plastic-fantastic and built like crap, no matter how much you pay. Wife has her eye on a thermal one which might be the same as yours, so I'll have to check for that - thanks for the warning if so :-)
We boil water in the kettle now and just use the filter part of the Bodum (actually it took paper filters, but we found a wire basket that'd fit from somewhere - but even that's starting to fail now and needs replacing). *Much* quicker to make. I like my coffee hot anyway, not just slightly warm, so it suits me fine that way; the only issue is not being able to leave it and do its stuff.
I really don't know why there's so much crap on the market - I mean it's not like it's hard to make something that heats water and pours it through a filter into a pot, but all the vendors of "home" equipment seem to screw it up nicely. In the spirit of the newsgroup, I'm tempted to build my own...
cheers
Jules
on 10/17/2009 7:17 PM (ET) Nate Nagel wrote the following:

that there is no carafe. To fill the the reservoir, you need a large measuring cup or some other container to fill it. http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_bar/dcc-2000.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You could just run it through a sock. Then again, you would have to replace that too. You know how they get the holes at the big toe.

The answer: yes, no, definitely, maybe, and I don't know.
It all depends on your coffee needs.
I am the only person who drinks coffee in my house. I like strong coffee, so to make 12 oz. mug of coffee in the morning, I use 2 tbsp dark Starbucks coffee. One cup is all I make. Melitta #4 paper filter, but first the fine mesh screen out of a dead coffee maker. I leave the grounds for about a week, or until they fill the #4 filter, only adding two new fresh scoops of coffee to the grounds in the filter. When it gets full, I toss it and start again.
Werks fer me. One strong 12 oz. cup in the morning. If I drink two, I can't keep up with myself.
It's like life, just a matter of choice.
Steve
Nate Nagel wrote:

I like it. It has a screw top you give 1/4 turn to pour. Was a good price at Target too. I bought it because of the metal pot; I kept breaking the stupid glass ones.

I looked on ebay and found this using the search terms Mr. Coffee Thermal" http://cgi.ebay.com/Mr-Coffee-Stainless-Steel-Thermal-Carafe-Replacement_W0QQitemZ290328866520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item4398f2eed8
If you have Goodwill stores in your area, it might be a place to find one. I don't know how you are about used items of this type. I inspected mine and it appeared to perhaps never been used, then I washed it thoroughly and repeatedly.

We finally gave up on "quality" coffee makers and just buy the Mr Coffee on sale and consider them to be disposable. When it craps out it is simply replaced with a new one which has already been purchased on sale.