"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 10 of 12  

Harry K wrote:

It would take a little work but I could do it. This stuff isn't published in a neat tidy package. I know the details because I have friends on planning commissions, friends who are township supervisors, friends who are principals at an engineering and planning company. All of whom I know and trust who have shown me documentation and told me details about projects.
Since you want the proof to be presented to you it is only fair that you pay for the time and expenses of these people to gather and present it in whatever form you would like. But since I am quite confident of the facts here is what I will do. If you pay and they are unable to present the information I will reimburse your expenses and add $10,000 for your inconvenience.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Suuurrreeee you will.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote:

Actually that was a pretty stupid wager on my part but I was being generous and didn't include free money for me by requiring you to pay me. I am absolutely confident of my words just as much as the sun will rise tomorrow.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Certainly not. And I wouldn't accept it.
If I wished to establish a business, and tax breaks were available, I would most certainly avail myself of them. As I said, only a fool would decline a legitimate gift - "corporate welfare" if you prefer.

It might. Of course, most THINKING voters (there are a few) would realize the folly of the charge that Walmart "doesn't pay anything".
When in the voting booth, I am more careful to cast my ballot for a candidate that will appoint judges that will support my interpretation of the law. I am much less likely to be concerned that an incumbent supported Tax Increment Financing to the benefit of a particular incoming business.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Redelfs wrote:

So when we build a new Walmart in my state and give them a explicit nine year tax exemption what taxes might they be paying?

Really, so you are OK with Walmart getting corporate welfare any not paying their own way?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:07:54 -0500, Jim Redelfs

Around here it's the opposite. Candy bars are taxable, and maybe cooked rotisserie chickens are, but food that needs to be cooked isn't. The borderline is not obvious, sort of arbitrary , but has to be drawn somewhere.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mm wrote:

Same here. If you buy a loaf of bread and a pound of cheese it isn't taxable. If you buy a sandwich at the deli it is. It gets a little bizarre with other things. Certain types of wrapping paper/film and bags for example are taxable and others aren't.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

The most ludicrous sales tax policy I ever heard of was when we were driving from Pennsylvania to Georgia, and my mom went in a store in some state to buy a pair of socks. The clerk asked if the socks were for someone over or under the age of 14 (or some teenage, under-18 number), and my mom asked why and was told that clothing for people on one side of the number was taxed and for people on the other side of the number wasn't -- I forget which was which at this point; I was a very young child then. My mom asked the clerk if that meant that clothing for [whichever age group had their clothing taxed] was optional.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What time of the year would that have been? Some states have a back to school "tax holiday" of a couple weeks with similar age restrictions. That, of course, are pretty much ignored.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'd bet that it's chidren's clothes that weren't taxed.

Tax holidays like that tend to be newer than the original tax versus no tax situation, in response to complaints by merchants that everyone was going to Delaware (and Pennsylvania?) to avoid the sales tax on clothes. So instead of repealing the tax all year they gave them a busy time like before school starts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Every sales tax has its weirdness:
In Texas: Donuts - six or more, no tax. Less than six, pay it. Fertilizer - For your yard, taxed. For your tomato plants, no tax. Rabbit - As a pet, pay the tax. If you're going to eat it, tax free.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

ARGH!! [ROFL] :)
I now LOVE your mom and have never met her! Priceless...
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:51:24 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to

Did the clerk laugh?
My mother used to joke with the clerks from the 1930's to the 1970's and she finally gave up, because they never got it. They always gave her a serious, blank look.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
They also now ask you if you're over 21 for spray paints and some auto

When I was buying spray on top coat sealer for metal I was only allowed to buy one can at a time. I needed three, so I had to leave the store, put the can in the car, come back in, buy the second, lather, rinse, repeat. As if buying only one at a time will stop morons from huffing. Ridiculous.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:20:42 -0700 (PDT), Pat
-snip-

But the feds do. You must be 21 to buy pistol ammo.
The store can choose to believe you or not if you say you are going to shoot it in a rifle.
Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A walmart should be built in every neighborhood that has a HOA.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

At minimum wage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong. Not even close.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Given they

Yes JR, they pay property tax and yes I have looked into how and what they pay for my area. Because of the local school needs the local property tax around here has almost doubled. Walmart has proudly expressed how they pay the same percentage as everyone else. What they didn't admit is that when their buildings are assessed, they send lawyers to the town, have a hearing an have the property assessment reduced by 40%. Therefore, they don't pay the same as everyone else. Wouldn't you just love it if your property taxes were reduced by 40%. Go ahead and challenge it JR, it's public knowledge. AS for generating jobs. Take the total amount of employees in a walmart. Now add up all the employees and business owners that lost thier job from the small busnesses that went belly up because of walmart. How many more or less jobs are in that town. You will be amazed. Lou
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

...and that's Walmart's fault, eh? <sigh>

Unless that is a crime, I don't see a problem.

I won't challenge a fact. I'd do the same if I could afford a team of lawyers. As it is, I am free to challenge my property assessment every time a new assessment is made. Many do it and many are successful in having their tax reduced.

Not at all. There is a net job GAIN due to increased business.
All the the former employees of all the defunct mom-and-pop businesses in a given area wouldn't staff half of a supercenter.
There is no column in a ledger for sentiment. Just dollars and cents.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.