"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Don't you mean 'bribes'?

Reply to
mm

Around here it's the opposite. Candy bars are taxable, and maybe cooked rotisserie chickens are, but food that needs to be cooked isn't. The borderline is not obvious, sort of arbitrary , but has to be drawn somewhere.

Reply to
mm

Too subtle for my own good. Yeah, we signed out but we stayed around because the hospital said we couldn't leave until charting, etc., was caught up but we couldn't stay on the clock. The "Bonus" was (up to) 3 years worth of overtime plus interest when someone got pissed off about something and turned them over to the Department of Labor. The DoL disabused them of the thought that this was legal in a way only the Government can (g). BTW: I have since left the place, but they had started to do that at least three other times since then until some of veterans reminded them of what happened the last time.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Yeah and liked In Plain Sight this year too.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

On Wed 20 Aug 2008 05:44:17p, Kurt Ullman told us...

I once worked for a family-run company where I usually worked 11-12 hour days. They had us sign blank time cards, which i learned later they were filling out for 8 hours. I was once given a raise, but it was taken back after two weeks "because they had hired an additional person (the owner's sister) to help in the office". When that happened, I went home for lunch and never went back. I immediatelyr reported them to the wage and hour commission. After they investigated, I and all the other employees received back pay for all the overtime we had worked for "free".

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Me, too! There are apparently 9 episodes for the summer and then it's taking a hiatus and in a few months will be back with 7 more episodes.

Do you like In Plain Sight?

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

Target regularly gives money to many charitable causes -- a certain percent of their profits -- and charitable groups that fit within their corporate charitable donation policies (children's groups, educational groups, health and welfare groups, etc.) are welcome to ask for grants. They do TONS for charitable causes -- veterans' hospitals, schools, foster children, etc.

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

What part of "Management is adamant about it" don't you understand?

I had clocked-out once and, while on my way out of the store, encountered my Assistant Manager. *I* stopped and spoke with him about my work schedule. We chatted for about five minutes. Prior to going on my way, he asked if I was "on the clock". When I told him I had clocked-out, he advised that I should go to personnel and have my time CORRECTED as I would have otherwise worked off the clock. That's good enough to convince me that they are serious about the issue.

And it sure makes for good customer relations.

Welcome to the (capitalist) party, pal.

No one is forcing a vendor to do business with anyone, Walmart included.

As for your contention that the customer can "literally destroy" the product and get an easy return is simply untrue.

There are many returned products that have been simply opened and are returned for various reasons. Given today's theft-resistant packaging, it is nearly impossible to open a package without rendering it unsalable should it be returned. Such returns (among others) are returned to the vendor for repackaging. Defective merchandise is likewise returned - as it is by ANY retailer.

A customer with a purchase older than 30 days, that has proven defective, is directed to the manufacturer (vendor?) for warranty adjustment. Walmart is not involved in these cases.

Merchandise that is obviously used or "virtually destroyed" is not accepted as a return, even for in-store credit.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

If this is a BAD THING, perhaps you should express your dissatisfaction for such accommodation at the ballot box. It is, after all, your (presumably) elected representatives that are giving the accommodations. Walmart, and any OTHER business, can ASK for the sun, moon and stars. Those in the position to GIVE those things are responsible for the "gift" - not the recipient.

Only a fool would turn down legitimate gifts.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

...and that's Walmart's fault, eh?

Unless that is a crime, I don't see a problem.

I won't challenge a fact. I'd do the same if I could afford a team of lawyers. As it is, I am free to challenge my property assessment every time a new assessment is made. Many do it and many are successful in having their tax reduced.

Not at all. There is a net job GAIN due to increased business.

All the the former employees of all the defunct mom-and-pop businesses in a given area wouldn't staff half of a supercenter.

There is no column in a ledger for sentiment. Just dollars and cents.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

A walmart should be built in every neighborhood that has a HOA.

Reply to
TD

Yeah, although I'm still warming up to it. I have also started to enjoy Psych which has a sorta juvenile humor to it, but it's fun.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I believe you are employing the wrong concept. "Pork" is excessive spending tacked onto legislative bills.

If I am correct in what you are charging, the proper terms are "graft" and "corruption" - public officials taking bribes "under the table" from someone to benefit the perpetrator with their legislation.

That's another, whole, different thing.

I doubt that Walmart is involved in such chicanery: There's no need.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

While I am quite cynical when it comes to the "green" craze, let me assure you that Walmart recycles like no other. It is truly an amazing operation.

I'd bet that the average Ace Hardware store sends more corrugated to the landfill than does the nearby Walmart Supercenter.

Plastic, corrugated (cardboard), metal - you name it. Walmart is a fine-tuned "machine" when it comes to recycling.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

This flies in the face of "my" store, built perhaps 7 years ago.

The entire store is pocked with large skylights. During the day, when the sun goes behind a cloud, the ENTIRE store's array of fluorescent lamps fire-up. Moments later, when the sun reappears from behind the cloud, the whole stores-worth of fluorescents switch off. This folly goes on EVERY day.

This is INCREDIBLY annoying when working in the photo department, trying to color-correct images and do other visual work. I suspect the effect is as distracting while trying to color-match paint or select fabric for a sewing project.

Given the CO$T of incorporating the skylights into initial construction, the ongoing thermal loss during heating and cooling and the wear-and-tear on the light fixtures themselves, Walmart isn't saving a damned dime. It's all "feel good" green effort for show.

As for the produce department: It's the only part of the store with always-on quartz lamps shining on the product. You tell me...

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

ARGH!!! [ROFL] :)

No! Really?

Hehehehehehe! :) JR

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Of that, you can be sure.

Except many of them are brazen enough to go even during daylight hours. They are simply counting on getting lost in the crowd.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Hehehehe. And this implicates Walmart?

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

This guy is going to make a terrible replacement for Leno.

Reply to
mm

You must be so proud.

Reply to