"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

So what is your point? That those companies would never exist unless it was for a POS like milken without a moral compass screwing people? That the cellphone industry or hotels wouldn't exist? That somehow everything is OK because lots of folks got screwed but some folks got jobs they would have gotten anyway through normal growth?

Reply to
George

I hear commercials all the time with people praising Wal Mart. They say stuff like, "When our local factory closed down and moved to China, we were devastated. No jobs. Then Wal Mart moved in. 300 jobs. Thank you Wal Mart." What isn't said is that it is likely that Wal Mart, or the Wal Mart business plan, was a big part of the reason the factory moved. They demand a lot from their suppliers. Inferior products for a lower price. And another reason the factory moved is the fact that Americans are cheap asses. You complain about jobs going overseas for cheaper labor and operating costs but you have absolutely no problem buying those products over slightly more expensive and harder to find American made products. You reap what you sow. If you aren't willing to spend time searching for American made products, (yes it does take effort now days), and spend a little more for those products, then you are a BIG part of the problem and should STFU.

Reply to
politicallycorrect

Americans are very uninformed on stuff that matters. Sure we know who won the world series and who hit the most home runs for the season or who made the most touchdowns or baskets. Who had the most traveling penalties, but many still think Iraq attacked us on 911. Many can't even point out their own state on a map. That's how we got GW Bush for 8 years and why we have Obama as Dem candidate and McCain as Rep candidate. How can you be expected to know or even care that Wal Mart and it's ilk uses virtual slave labor and has their suppliers pollute to their hearts content in the name of profit. Then they advertise how good corporate citizens they are. Not much has really changed since the 19th century. Greed and ignorance rules.

Reply to
politicallycorrect

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:13:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ahole.com wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

We aren't cheap, just particular about where we spend our money. For example, we love taxes and consider it our patriotic duty to pay higher taxes.

It's true because brother Obama says so.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

If you were particular about where you spend your money, you'd care where the items you did buy came from and under what conditions they were produced. Any "compassionate conservative" knows that.

Reply to
politicallycorrect