"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Trashy won't wear off on you Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

What are they giving for copper ? I have a 55 gallon barrow full of 2" peices of 1/2 " copper pipe. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Missed the original thread, but catch the drift. It's amazing that America created the society and economic environment that generated the Wal-Mart phenomena, and now mostly detests it.

Sure, I want dirt cheap endless consumer goods, just not in *my* neighborhood.

Reply to
Mamba

I'd bet that it's chidren's clothes that weren't taxed.

Tax holidays like that tend to be newer than the original tax versus no tax situation, in response to complaints by merchants that everyone was going to Delaware (and Pennsylvania?) to avoid the sales tax on clothes. So instead of repealing the tax all year they gave them a busy time like before school starts.

Reply to
mm

He was editor of the Harvard Lampoon, but that's all print, right? It has nothing to do with being funny on tv. Even when I can see how it might have been funny, he ruins it. He drags it out too long, and overdoes it, and even if writers write it, he's supposed to show them how to make it his style and funny. Unfortunately his style isn't funny.

Unless there are a lot of people younger than I who think so. Sort of like the people who think Saturday Night Live is still funny.

Either I couldn't stay up that late, or I lived in the city with only one tv channel when Steve Allen was on. I'm sure I woudl have liked him. I liked Jack Paar.

Reply to
mm

Steve Barker DLT posted for all of us...

What does DLT mean?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Every sales tax has its weirdness:

In Texas: Donuts - six or more, no tax. Less than six, pay it. Fertilizer - For your yard, taxed. For your tomato plants, no tax. Rabbit - As a pet, pay the tax. If you're going to eat it, tax free.

Reply to
HeyBub

And you, of course, are prepared to prove that. Not jsut _say_ it happens but prove that some business has turned down such a golden goose.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ide quoted text -

Steve Allen and Carson rocked. Can't get interested in either Conan or Letterman.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

:NaSdnS8-ScA7rjHVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...> I can assure you the rea= son for the skylights is savings on the electrical

ural

Was a big fight trying to keep a supercenter out of Pullman, Wa - went on for a couple years. People screaming "I won't shop there" but were the same ones who would be seen in the check-out line of a WM just 7 miles down the road in Moscow Id.

Don't know what the current status is. Last I heard last year was that all permits were finally approved and the last lawsuit was pitched out of court.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It would take a little work but I could do it. This stuff isn't published in a neat tidy package. I know the details because I have friends on planning commissions, friends who are township supervisors, friends who are principals at an engineering and planning company. All of whom I know and trust who have shown me documentation and told me details about projects.

Since you want the proof to be presented to you it is only fair that you pay for the time and expenses of these people to gather and present it in whatever form you would like. But since I am quite confident of the facts here is what I will do. If you pay and they are unable to present the information I will reimburse your expenses and add $10,000 for your inconvenience.

Reply to
George

Any company that is on welfare offends me. Walmart just happens to be (at least in my state) the #1 welfare queen.

Would you proudly announce to your friends that you were on welfare or would it feel better to say that you pay your own way?

The guy reminds me of the first job I had with real authority. The guy I worked for was a self made man who became very wealthy in an honest fashion. He had a very simple saying concerning dealing with others. It was "the other guy has to eat too..". Meaning get value and a fair deal but don't cross the line and stand on someone's head just because you are in a superior position. Simply put he wasn't greedy.

I can't say what he thinks about Walmart being a welfare queen because I have not heard his opinion. However he is very vocal about the low wages they pay and how they muscle their suppliers way past a fair deal.

Reply to
George

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:35:26 -0400, George wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

In regards to WM muscling their suppliers way past a fair deal, this is a must-see for anyone wanting to be a WM supplier

After viewing this expose, I decided I would rather go out of business than be a WM supplier.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Hmmmmmm. bet they don't sell that movie at walmart.......

Steve Barker DLT

Suuurrreeee you will.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You're more likely to go out of business by becoming a WM supplier.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:34:52 -0400, "h" wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

That is the exact inference I got from watching that expose.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

It is amazing how many people still think they can lose money on every one, yet make it back up in volume (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I didn't see the link to the exposé, was it about Vlasic Pickles? IIRC, becoming a WM supplier nearly put them out of business.

That's good to hear. I've wondered about that. Of course even then, it's a lot of work for the store, paying the shipper, the vendor, and I hate to do that if I could have figured out somehow that I didn't want it without opening it up.

Usually I use a band saw to open up one side of a welded plastic bubble pack, so it looks pretty good if I have to return it. Would that be resold as I returned it, or shipped back for repackaging?

When there is cardboard that is stapled, I open the staples and then if I have to return, I reuse the original staples, putting them through the second piece of cardboard one leg at a time, and bending the legs down by hand. Sometimes I use my own stapler.

BTW, I make a point to buy already opened packages, to encourage vendors to accept already opened packages for return. (because I know if they are hanging from the hook but never sold, it will leave a negative taste in the mouth of the manager.) Now this can have problems. I bought an already-opened, then taped shut, car adapter for a laptop compputer and when I got it home, it was missing one of the tips that was supposed to be included. I wanted to return it for other reasons, and was afraid the clerk would attribute its absence to me. But she didn't look closely and she took it and gave me cash in return. This was the only time I thought I might get burned by buying open stuff, but I didn't. (I like to pay cash so I get a cash refund, instead of wondering if the credit will actually reach my credit card account.)

I also make a point to buy dented cans, even if the price isn't reduced, because why should they take a loss because someone, employee or customer, dropped a can? (Not bulging out cans, which probably contain poison, and I've never seen for sale.)

Reply to
mm