"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Meant to say, Did they say they would NOT shop at an WM.....

Answer: letters to the editor from people I know that I saw in the Moscow WM. You seem to be on a witch hunt or something.
Harry K
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:55:25 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

I think you're being hard on those people. They can be truly opposed to their building a WM and give up or change their mind later.
Even wanting none in one's own town but shopping at one in another town is reasonable. I'm sure they didn't lobby to get one built in Moscow, but it's already there. I don't want a 7-11 two hundred yards from me, where I can see it, but I'll go to one two blocks away.

You really can't get a better illustration of NIMBY than that.
In article

In contrast to the charges that Walmart runs roughshod over local and state governments, steals candy from babies and polishes the Teflon<r> with which they coat their handicapped parking spots, their latest "intrusions" into our otherwise idyllic, serene locale were accomplished by Walmart accommodating the local governing bodies:
A couple of stores were "forced" to make significant changes and improvements to the entire store facade to improve its appearance. The newest store, in order to gain approval, agreed to NO merchandise outside the store.
This resulted in an interesting SNAFU a couple years ago when, in the store's first spring, semi-loads of nursery stock (bedding plants, trees and shrubs), lawn and garden bagged goods and landscaping timbers and blocks appeared at their door, ready to be delivered. Oops. It was all turned away and went to other stores.
Of course, all those that would have availed themselves of that merchandise drove many more miles to get it. But, take heart: At least there isn't all that unsightly stuff in the parking lot each spring.
--
:)
JR

I agree it is an amazing thing and one in which I take great national pride. However, I dispute the "mostly" part of those that detest it. Those detractors are a VERY small - but vocal - minority.
Think about it: You aren't going to find too many folks motivated to shout from the rooftops, "I just LOVE buying all that CHEAP STUFF at Walmart!"

N.I.M.B.Y.? (Not In My Backyard)
Not I, said the duck. I would LOVE to be able to site a cell tower in my backyard - perhaps even a landfill. I could retire.
--
:)
JR

Mamba wrote:

The original thread started with the story about a community activist who fought against the possibility of a local Walmart. Walmart finally gave up and a metal reclamation company took over the location. Now the community activist dearly wishes he had a local Walmart -- so he could buy earplugs.
As for "mostly detests" Walmart, I dunno 'bout that. Walmart is the largest business and largest employer in the nation.

The WM here is starting to buy locally grown produce, if that is done everywhere the diesal savings would be astronomical. I go to my regular grocery store and it's impossible to find any produce grouwn within 500 miles. WM is on the right track here.

???Except that the WM has the world's crapiest "local" produce. I bought some "local" corn there last week, and it was dreadful. I bought some "local" corn from Price Chopper (chain) 3 days later, and it was fantastic, and the same price. Ditto for Hannaford (chain) just yesterday. So...the WM buys the worst of the local and charges the same as the best.
h wrote:

Would you mind sweeping my driveway when you're done, 'cause your using an awful large brush :-)
--
Dave
<poster name deleted as this is not a direct reply to their post>
Colbyt wrote:

Well, my neighbors down the street who think Walmart is God's gift to this country don't have internet access. They barely even have a computer, and they might not have one any more.

Hehehehe. And this implicates Walmart?
--
:)
JR

You must be so proud.
Jim Redelfs wrote:

No, it was only one possible factor as to why Walmart has tons of shoppers whereas many people here don't like them. -- bad sampling of the online poll.

Of that, you can be sure.
Except many of them are brazen enough to go even during daylight hours. They are simply counting on getting lost in the crowd.
--
:)
JR

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:04:18 -0700 (PDT), Pat

I know you meant "is doing what is best". You type like I do sometimes! An interesting window into how our minds work.
In article

While I am quite cynical when it comes to the "green" craze, let me assure you that Walmart recycles like no other. It is truly an amazing operation.
I'd bet that the average Ace Hardware store sends more corrugated to the landfill than does the nearby Walmart Supercenter.
Plastic, corrugated (cardboard), metal - you name it. Walmart is a fine-tuned "machine" when it comes to recycling.
--
:)
JR

Don Klipstein wrote:

Don't know about that. But I do know Walmart has insisted that manufacturers of some food products reduce the size of their packaging thereby reducing costs. For example, a box of cereal that's half air with the explanation "contents may have settled during shipment" crap. The reality is that the cereal company found that people THOUGHT they were getting more with simply a bigger box! Walmart cracked down on that and saved themselves enormous sums in shipping air around the country.
Just look at the "X" ounce box of Kellog's Corn Flakes at Walmart and compare the box to the same ounce-size at your local market.
Walmart also insists on reasonable packaging. Again, they've insisted that packaging protect the contents, not serve as a vehicle for advertising. In some cases, the overall weight of the product has been halved!
"The bitterness of low quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten," -- John Wanamaker
At least, that has been my experience with Walmart.