WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

That doesn't change anything I said.

BTW, I'm an avid cyclist, and have been since the 1950's.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

responding to

eiger3970 wrote: My first post on here. What a fascinating, lengthy discussion about WD40 and silicon spray. I'm quite amazed and had to respond.

I'm still confused and all I want to do is lubricate my driver's seat belt which sticks, rather than winding itself back in?

My Toyota Corolla Ascent 2003 local wreckers people suggested silicon spray which is a first for me. My dad always said to use WD-40, but that was in the stone age before access to a world knowledge base.

I would really like a definitive list comparison of points. If/when I have time I'll make it up, but for now I might try an Internet search for: Lubricants for seat belts.

Thanks for the entertaining fights too ;-)

Ether J> Father Haskell wrote:

Reply to
eiger3970

Hi, All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up and cleaning.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"eiger3970" wrote in message news:74fd3$50e88281$45499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Why consult a wrecking yard when the world is full of factory-trained Toyota servicemen?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Tony Hwang wrote in news:0V1Gs.96594$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is* oil in it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My first post on here.

Your talking about lubrication the belt ? I use silicone which works for a while. Best to clean and dry first with degreaser.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Orange juice can be a lubricant. WD-40 is better for most applications though. It definitely meets the definition of lubricant. It may or may not fit your needs, but it will lubricate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

MSDS. There *is*

Fish oil in proper amounts will lubricate your digestive tract.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Tony Hwang

MSDS. There *is*

When I was in college, I worked the night shift at a military ordnance factory that manufactured the clockwork like safety fuses for artillery shells, the mechanism was lubricated with WD-40. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

5.iad:

the MSDS. There *is*

All you need to know about it here.

All but half wits know there is a lubricant in it. Half wits because everything is so easy to check out these days.

You can make your own, all you need is kerosine or diesel fuel mixed with engine oil.

Reply to
harry

Spraying the seat belt probably won't do much good, if the roller mechanism is binding.

.

My first post on here.

Your talking about lubrication the belt ? I use silicone which works for a while. Best to clean and dry first with degreaser.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

TRY JIG-A-LOO Invisible Silicone Dry Spray. Orange can, JIG1601

Reply to
cdc488

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but Silicone Lub es will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using grease/oil) and will kee p things quiet(more than a few days). People are stating somethings that a re all in the past when WD40 only had Penetrating Spray.

Reply to
dgoforit

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use oil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and killed his mother in law. He burried her in a shoe box next to the dog.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then in 2012 the door fell again and killed the mailman. Now he's doing 10 to 20 in Leavenworth (or was it 5 to 10 in Woolworth's ?)

(Apologies to Groucho Marx)

Reply to
Retired

Another glowing testimonial from a satisfied WD-40 user. Too bad about the dog.

Reply to
rbowman

As the Judge sentenced the OP, he was heard to comment "that fellow is unhinged".

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And 40 means they took 40 attempts to get it right

Reply to
johnsondarren920