WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Page 5 of 5

Father Haskell wrote:

Depends on your definition of "best". For my cars, full synthetic oils have proven to be "best".
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wd-40-silicone-spray-when-is-one-better-over-the-other-153295-.htm eiger3970 wrote: My first post on here. What a fascinating, lengthy discussion about WD40 and silicon spray. I'm quite amazed and had to respond.
I'm still confused and all I want to do is lubricate my driver's seat belt which sticks, rather than winding itself back in?
My Toyota Corolla Ascent 2003 local wreckers people suggested silicon spray which is a first for me. My dad always said to use WD-40, but that was in the stone age before access to a world knowledge base.
I would really like a definitive list comparison of points. If/when I have time I'll make it up, but for now I might try an Internet search for: Lubricants for seat belts.
Thanks for the entertaining fights too ;-)
Ether Jones wrote:

Hi, All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up and cleaning.

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is* oil in it.

Fish oil in proper amounts will lubricate your digestive tract.
On 1/5/2013 6:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

When I was in college, I worked the night shift at a military ordnance factory that manufactured the clockwork like safety fuses for artillery shells, the mechanism was lubricated with WD-40. ^_^
TDD
On Jan 6, 5:08am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

5.iad:
All you need to know about it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40
All but half wits know there is a lubricant in it. Half wits because everything is so easy to check out these days.
You can make your own, all you need is kerosine or diesel fuel mixed with engine oil.

Orange juice can be a lubricant. WD-40 is better for most applications though. It definitely meets the definition of lubricant. It may or may not fit your needs, but it will lubricate.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

message

Why consult a wrecking yard when the world is full of factory-trained Toyota servicemen?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wd-40-silicone-spray-when-is-one-better-over-the-other-153295-.htm
Your talking about lubrication the belt ? I use silicone which works for a while. Best to clean and dry first with degreaser.
Greg
Spraying the seat belt probably won't do much good, if the roller mechanism is binding.

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/wd-40-silicone-spray-when-is-one-better-over-the-other-153295-.htm
Your talking about lubrication the belt ? I use silicone which works for a while. Best to clean and dry first with degreaser.
Greg
TRY JIG-A-LOO Invisible Silicone Dry Spray. Orange can, JIG1601
On Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-7, Holy Crikey wrote:

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but Silicone Lub es will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using grease/oil) and will kee p things quiet(more than a few days). People are stating somethings that a re all in the past when WD40 only had Penetrating Spray.

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use oil.
On 2/15/2015 10:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and killed his mother in law. He burried her in a shoe box next to the dog.
On 2/15/15 1:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Then in 2012 the door fell again and killed the mailman. Now he's doing 10 to 20 in Leavenworth (or was it 5 to 10 in Woolworth's ?)
(Apologies to Groucho Marx)
On 2/15/2015 1:46 PM, Retired wrote:

As the Judge sentenced the OP, he was heard to comment "that fellow is unhinged".
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Another glowing testimonial from a satisfied WD-40 user. Too bad about the dog.