WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

That's not what I said.
And I notice that you failed to address *any* of the substantive points I raised. I wonder why that is...
I've demonstrated that you were completely wrong on every count. And now all you can do is complain about my tone.
So be it.

*Pretentious* gasbags. And I haven't been uncivil to you. Sarcastic, perhaps, but not uncivil.

Anyone else hear the sound of a punctured gasbag sputtering?
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Your humiliation is a self-inflicted wound.
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:59:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Forget it Doug. Kinch is a well known usenet kook. He'll also tell you that WD40 is perfectly safe to drink, even though it states on the label "Harmful or fatal if swallowed".
His rational for that? If you don't breathe for several hours after drinking it, it won't hurt you.
CWM
Holy Crikey wrote:

Hi, Silicon or Teflon based sparay. Never WD-40!
Holy Crikey wrote:

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40 primarily is, not a lubricant. It's mostly kerosene with a small percentage of other added petrochemicals.
Use a drop or 2 of light oil to penetrate between the moving surfaces, and wipe clean so it doesn't attract dust.
Ether Jones writes:

It says "lubricates" on the can.

But does NOT say for -how long-.
K-Y jelly lubricates,too. ;-P WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well MOST people draw the line at margarine, you kinky bastard! ;o)
-zero

It's your own dirty mind that led you to that conclusion. 8-)
Soybean cooking oil would be a better lubricant for *mechanical things* than WD-40.(castor bean oil used to be used in autos!)
So would kerosene.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Hmmm, For a while until it dries up and induce rust and what not. WD-40 is not lubricant, it is water repellent/solvent. It makes metal bare. water drops will lubricate for a while as well.
And 40 means they took 40 attempts to get it right

I like REM-Oil, and I don't even own a gun. :-) John T.
On 3/21/17 2:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Well get it in gear, get on down to the local gun shop and buy one!
--
A gun is a lot like a parachute. If you need one and don’t have one,
you’ll probably never need one again.

No-Can-Do .. I would need a Firearms Aquisition Certificate <?> and/or a Possession and Acquisition Licence <?> .. or sumpthin' government-y .. John T.
On 3/21/17 4:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Don't know where you live but consider this: An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
As James Madison said, "A government that does not trust its law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust".
Wade Garrett wrote:

The ".ca" at the end of his email leads me to think he's in Canada ...
--
Snag

Holy Crikey wrote:

I've read that silicone oil can cause problems by being incompatible with any oil already in the bearings, and it's better to use regular light machine oil (5, 10, or 20 weight). Another person said that sewing machine oil isn't good because it's vegetable oil (so it won't stain clothes permanently). Only the bearings are supposed to be lubed, not the nylon wheels or the tracks. If your door runs on pivot hinges instead of tracks, then aerosol grease is supposed to be the best. This grease is mixed with a liquid solvent that evaporates after it's sprayed on, and auto parts stores should have it because it's used for door hinges and latches.
I once had a squealing speedometer (metal cylinder spinning in nylon hole). I cleaned the parts with degreaser and applied silicone oil -- still squealed. Cleaned again and tried WD-40 -- again no help. Another cleaning and two drops of light machine oil -- no more squeaks, ever again.

Neither. Try oil.
WD40 is NOT a lubricant and silicone spray is not intended for metal.

Silicone oil is intended for metal and vinyl and leather and rubber and plastic and wood.
Holy Crikey writes:

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not significantly different from WD-40. Read the label or MSDS, and you'll find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list. Actual silicone oil is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.
Here is an example:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&idp07009