WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:54:59 -0500, Richard J Kinch

I take it you've never played foosball.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

You appear unaware that there are thousands of different compounds which can be distilled from petroleum, and *all* of them can be referred to as "petroleum distillate". Educate yourself here
http://www.protectall.com/artmyths.htm
where you can learn about the many different chemicals that fall under the generic heading "petroleum distillate"
and here
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf
where the MSDS for WD-40 shows that its composition isn't even remotely similar to that of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant.

Copied verbatim from the back of a can of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant, p/n AMS9-14, that I have in my garage:
"Contains petroleum distillate (CAS# 142-82-5), propane (CAS# 74-98-6), Dimethyl polysiloxane (CAS# 63148-98-6), and water (CAS# 7732-18-5)."
Doesn't look to me like silicone is "the last ingredient on the list." Maybe it does to you.

From the fifth line under "Brand Information": "Date Entered:     1996-09-03"
Do ya think that might be just a little bit out of date, that the formula might have changed some in the last TEN YEARS??

Doug Miller writes:

Actually, it is. Industrial chemists use various nomenclatures for the same things, in an attempt to obscure what's going on.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Actually, it isn't. The nomenclatures are different because they're describing -- gasp -- different substances.
Doug Miller writes:

No water on the can on my shelf, or in the MSDS. Having found a pointless counterexample, you win the prissy exception contest.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Oh, I get it -- any example that proves you wrong is "pointless".
Face it, Kinch: you're wrong (again).
Richard J Kinch wrote:

But here's another MSDS, for Valvoline's Pyroil brand silicone lube spray:
http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.asp?M 36406&C5&DP3&L=EN&F=ANSI&N=BLEND+%230041A+SILICONE+LUBRICANT
It lists:
Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEPTANE 142-82-5 87.0- 97.0 CARBON DIOXIDE 124-38-9 0.0- 10.0 SILICONE Trade Secret 0.0- 8.0
IOW it appears that there's nothing in the can except propellant and some silicone compound.
larry moe 'n curly writes:

It's 87 percent heptane, which is a petroleum distillate. The CO2 is the propellant.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

That does not change the fact that, despite your silly claims to the contrary, the stuff *is* significantly different from WD-40.
says...

You ain't the Doug Miller from Nebraska that worked in VT by chance?

Nope. I'm in Indianapolis. Been here for a looooong time.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in says...

Just took a shot at it. Nothing belittling meant but "Doug" and "Miller" are not exactly rare :-)
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Yes, CO2 is the propellant. But the Heptane is just a solvent to help thin the silicone and allow it to penetrate. It evaporates rapidly, once it's out of the can, leaving the silicone lubricant evenly dispersed.
Holy Crikey wrote:

The simplest and maybe the best solution is to clean the hinge with WD40 and then oil it with any any 20 or 30 weight oil. The most thorough way is to pop each pin up until each pin engages only one loop on the frame half of the hinge and one loop on the door half of the hinge is engaged by the pin. Then put oil on a Q-tip and push it up through the hinge loops and all over the exposed pin. Then just pound the pin down into place.
If you cannot or are afraid of popping the pins up, then put oil at each loop, swing the door, add more oil, wipe most off, and after two days the oil should have seeped to all hinge surfaces. Throughly clean (wipe) any oil off the hinges.
Graphite in oil (Lock-ease) also works very well.

That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's a poor lubricant.

You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any hardware store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take care of the problem.
--
Regards,
It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil. Refer to http://www.wd40.com . The site does not label the product as a "lubricant" or "water drier". But it does suggest applications such as removing spots, etc.
Doug Miller wrote:

So what??
--
Regards,
I'm leaving now to go home, dig out the K-Y and see where that leads.

Use "Wet Platinum". It is silicone based. Honest.
Craven Morehead wrote:

i use anti seize on hinge pins. take the pin out,brush it on and install the pin. lucas