Wax ring

Got my new Toto toilet delivered today. Went to the borg to get a wax ring. I find there are about 10 choices. I thought a wax ring was a wax ring... . There are no.1 or no.3 or no. 10. Some have horns. What the heck should I buy? The instructions for the toilet only say 'wax ring'. I have a brand new house, so I know the floors are good, etc . Thanks.

Since the skinny cheap one is -$2.00 and the biggest/fanciest/best-sealing/most expensive one is $6.00, be a big shooter and go for the top ;-)
The wax ring should be about 1/4" higher than the clearance

Forget the wax ring altogether. Go with a "Fernco waxless toilet seal". You'll never go back to using the wax type again. AFAIK there is only one size. I has flex seals that go down inside the drain pipe.
Harry K
-snip-

Amen. Best <$10 i ever spent. [Fernco doesn't seem like the brand name of the one I used- but it was the same rubber as their couplings.]
If it was $30 it still would have been a bargain. I was working in a bathroom for an extended period & it was too small to leave the toilet in place- but my wife found that toilet too important to be without. So every day for a week, I took the toilet out in the morning and put it back at night. I never would have gone through that hassle with wax seals.
Jim
HI are these what you're talking about? Is one of these for a standard or 'regular" toilet? Thanks, -dave

Toilet Seals Part #     Description     Standard Box Qty.     List Price (ea.) FTS-3    3 WAX FREE TOILET SEAL    20    $4.29 FTS-4    4 WAX FREE TOILET SEAL    20    $4.29 FTS-4CF    4 x 3 COMBO FLANGE WAX FREE TOILET SEAL    20    $4.29

On 6 Apr 2007 01:21:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yup- That's the one- http://www.fernco.com/FTS.asp
All will fit your regular toilet. The difference is in the waste pipe- 3", 4" or fits both. It's been a couple years but I think mine must have been a 'fits both' as I still have a little 3" part kicking around in my plumbing box.
Jim
The only one I could find was from FluidMaster. Found it at HD. It was a two piece thing with some rubber gaskets.

Used one of those when son & I replaced his toilet. WQorked great.

I was always a fan of one that has the funnel on it. To help waste get past the wax ring on its way down.
tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com
Found a Fernco no-wax seal at a local plumbing supply house. (go figure) . The thing worked perfectly. The best part was the adhesive on the seal. Stuck in on the toilet horn, then right into the drain. I would HIGHLY recommend the Ferco seal for anyone skiddish about using a wax ring. . Thanks to all for the help.