Uneven Battery Performance

2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after about 15 days (30 minutes total).

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!

2,800 minutes?!!?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after

150 minutes.

Go figure, eh.

Reply to
Jack's Wife, Murriel

| 2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to | power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles | per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!! | 2,800 minutes?!!?

The batteries are most likely not used to power the screen once you get going. They're just there to provide micropower when the machine isn't in use.

Reply to
Josh

Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote in news:46139f43.7531140@news-

60.giganews.com:

Here you are running a electric motor,drawing lots of current,converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

the current draw for the electronics in that machine is very low. Probably CMOS logic.Maybe a LCD display?

LED displays draw more power than an LCD display.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well, not knowing what the power draw is, can't do anything but speculate. And comment that to use disposable batteries to power a toothbrush shows the power of marketing over sense.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Motion like this takes more than just moving electrons around, I think. Apparently even LCDs only use a tiny bit to arrange the crystals, and once they are in place will stay that way with no or almost no current.

I have an AMFM Clock radio from 1972 that uses two 9 volt alkaline-if-I-have-them batteries for back up if there is an AC power failure, and they last less than a day.

OTOH, the tiny little battery in a watch will last 5 years.

I don't think the clock radio displays anything at all when it is in backup mod.

Reply to
mm

Battery capacity is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). So, if a device requires

1 ampere and the battery is rated at 1 Ah, you'll get an hour of use (1 x 1 = 1). If another device requires only 0.1 amperes, you'll get 10 hours of use (0.1 x 10 = 1). That's a basic explanation, there are many other factors.
Reply to
Charles Schuler