Wax ring

Got my new Toto toilet delivered today. Went to the borg to get a wax ring. I find there are about 10 choices. I thought a wax ring was a wax ring... . There are no.1 or no.3 or no. 10. Some have horns. What the heck should I buy? The instructions for the toilet only say 'wax ring'. I have a brand new house, so I know the floors are good, etc . Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

Since the skinny cheap one is -$2.00 and the biggest/fanciest/best-sealing/most expensive one is $6.00, be a big shooter and go for the top ;-)

Reply to
Kicking Bird

The wax ring should be about 1/4" higher than the clearance

Reply to
avid_hiker

Forget the wax ring altogether. Go with a "Fernco waxless toilet seal". You'll never go back to using the wax type again. AFAIK there is only one size. I has flex seals that go down inside the drain pipe.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

-snip-

Amen. Best

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

HI are these what you're talking about? Is one of these for a standard or 'regular" toilet? Thanks,

-dave

Toilet Seals Part # Descripti> "Harry K" wrote:

Reply to
dgostl

Yup- That's the one-

All will fit your regular toilet. The difference is in the waste pipe- 3", 4" or fits both. It's been a couple years but I think mine must have been a 'fits both' as I still have a little 3" part kicking around in my plumbing box.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The only one I could find was from FluidMaster. Found it at HD. It was a two piece thing with some rubber gaskets.

Reply to
Jack

Used one of those when son & I replaced his toilet. WQorked great.

Web Site:

David Starr

I was always a fan of one that has the funnel on it. To help waste get past the wax ring on its way down.

tom @

Just Joshin

Found a Fernco no-wax seal at a local plumbing supply house. (go figure) . The thing worked perfectly. The best part was the adhesive on the seal. Stuck in on the toilet horn, then right into the drain. I would HIGHLY recommend the Ferco seal for anyone skiddish about using a wax ring. . Thanks to all for the help.

Reply to
Jack