Toilet Wax Ring

How do you determine what size wax ring to buy when replacing the wax ring.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I don't think you get many choices, or maybe you get too many.

The choices:

  1. simple wax ring. One size fits all. Some installations may require 2.

  1. same wax ring with a plastic sleeve to help guide "stuff" into the hole. May require an extra #1.

  2. Same wax ring bonded on a piece of felt. Supposedly stronger? May require and extra #1 or #3.

  1. Some manufactures make an extra thick ring, usually with the sleeve to reduce the chances of needing an extra #1.

Fluidmaster makes a waxless ring. I have not tried one.

Reply to
DanG

The plastic sleeve is for applications where there is no toilet flange on the plumbing. Plumbing like that is rare nowadays, but you still might run into an old 3" cast iron pipe with no flange. If there is a flange, a simple wax ring will do.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

The days of wax rings have passed. Use a Fernco Waxless Toilet Seal. You'll never screw around with a wax ring again.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I was told, measure the distance from the closet flange to the floor surface. Then add 1/4". Don't know how well this works, but it's all I can remember.

tom @

Just Joshin