wax free toilet seal - experiences?

Found a alternative to wax seals at home depot that seems to be designed to meet my needs -- looking to see if anyone has had good/bad experiences with this.

From the manufacturers web site:

This appears to meet my needs because I am raising the floor 5/8" and this states "seals on raised floors, wood, tile, linoleum, and carpet" and "no need for flange risers or stacked wax rings".

Thanks in advance! Alan

Reply to
AAB

stacked rings work, and only time will tell if the new fangled crap does.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've been using one for several years with no problems or seepage. In the past I had to screw around with stacked rings, and still couldn't get a good seal, requiring a couple of trips to the hardware store. (I probably was doing something wrong with the stacked rings, or purchased the wrong one.)

I did ask a plumber who was doing some work in an office building for his thoughts on them. He felt the old wax rings worked fine, why switch when an existing technology has a good track record.

I'm sure you will get a variety of responses on this.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

Wax seals last, well forever as far as I can tell.

This new product is SOOOOOO good the manufacturer relieves itself of all responsibility after all of 1 year.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Good point. The one I used was from Fluidmaster, purchased from a local ACE hardware.

Not sure why my wax ring(s) would start to seep - the bowl might have worked it's way loose so it rocked a slight bit, breaking the seal. I think the original wax ring from when the toilet was installed lasted a good 10+ years before it started to leak; the next one, about 6 years or so.

It was after two trips to ACE with various wax rings that I couldn't get to seal that pushed me to try the new fangled gasket. It's been 3 or 4 years, with no seepage, so far.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

Wax rings (even stacked) are cheap and proven. No alternative is needed. They are preying on your insecurities.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Fernco has been in the waste plumbing adapter business for a long time, it is likely to be a good product, if used appropriately, the company has a good rep in the biz.

Reply to
John Hines

I disagree.

I just experienced for the second time a failure of the wax ring at the base of the toilet.

Both times I was plunging like crazy (low flow toilet woes) and the seal ruptured. This caused a flood of crappy water through the ceiling and walls. You don't want to go there!

I too bought >

Reply to
Betsy

The wax ring is not there to block water. It is to seal against gases.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Reply to
Betsy

This thread is a great application of the axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Wax seals are simple, cheap and effective. Why "improve" them?

Reply to
Dick Smyth

- AAB or Alan -

- Nehmo - The new product is superior to a wax ring. It's easy to use, fast, not messy, and is forgiving of a small positional error. If you have to take up the stool and put it back, you don't need to get a new ring.

I've used the wax rings plenty of times. I won't use one again unless the new thing is unavailable.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Incorrect. You could not get a gas tight seal. It is also a moist environment where cloth would decompose. The wax ring is not there for blocking water. If you understood the configuration of a toilet and how it works, you would know that. It's not at all complicated.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

So maybe you can explain to everyone why water leakage occures when a wax ring fails?

Reply to
vairxpert

I installed one on my last bathroon remodel. It's easy to install and will compensate for different floor heights. Considering it's a pvc type of plastic with neoprene o-rings to seal out gases and a forming gasket to prevent spash back, I can't see any reason why it would fail in 10 years. Another nice thing is that it's reusable. If you have to lift the toilet for any reason you're not stuck having to go out and buy another wax ring and scraping all the old crap off. I'm in the process of remodeling another one of my bathrooms right now and it will also get the wax free kit.

The kit I bought from Menards included a separate housing for 4" pipe if needed. I think I paid only $6.00 for the kit.

George

Reply to
vairxpert

It doesn't. If you are leaking at that point, you have another problem. You can mount a toilet with NO wax ring, and if the plumbing is okay, it won't leak a single drop. The wax ring is not there to block water. It's function is to block gases. If you are leaking water through that area, you need to find out the real cause. It isn't the fault of the wax ring.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Old rusty iron closet flanges.

Same reason wax rings also come with a plastic sleeve version.

Not everything in remodeling work is "simple".

Reply to
John Hines