wax free toilet seal - experiences?

Page 1 of 2
Found a alternative to wax seals at home depot that seems to be designed to meet my needs -- looking to see if anyone has had good/bad experiences with this.
From the manufacturers web site: http://www.fernco.com/fts.html
This appears to meet my needs because I am raising the floor 5/8" and this states "seals on raised floors, wood, tile, linoleum, and carpet" and "no need for flange risers or stacked wax rings".
Thanks in advance! Alan
stacked rings work, and only time will tell if the new fangled crap does.
AAB wrote:

I've been using one for several years with no problems or seepage. In the past I had to screw around with stacked rings, and still couldn't get a good seal, requiring a couple of trips to the hardware store. (I probably was doing something wrong with the stacked rings, or purchased the wrong one.)
I did ask a plumber who was doing some work in an office building for his thoughts on them. He felt the old wax rings worked fine, why switch when an existing technology has a good track record.
I'm sure you will get a variety of responses on this.
Bob.
Thanks Bob I've tried the stacked wax ring thing also and it worked but I never felt very good about it. I am not a professional, if I used wax on a daily or weekly basis I am sure I would feel more comfortable and I do understand the pros who say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks for letting me know it is working for you so far. The earlier response (thanks for that one also) makes a good point about not knowing its longevity until they have been installed for 10+ years. If I don't get any real negative responses I think I'll give it a try. Seems like it should work and its not too big of a risk in this location. Alan
Bob wrote:

Wax seals last, well forever as far as I can tell.
This new product is SOOOOOO good the manufacturer relieves itself of all responsibility after all of 1 year.
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Good point. The one I used was from Fluidmaster, purchased from a local ACE hardware.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/connect_products_7500.html
Not sure why my wax ring(s) would start to seep - the bowl might have worked it's way loose so it rocked a slight bit, breaking the seal. I think the original wax ring from when the toilet was installed lasted a good 10+ years before it started to leak; the next one, about 6 years or so.
It was after two trips to ACE with various wax rings that I couldn't get to seal that pushed me to try the new fangled gasket. It's been 3 or 4 years, with no seepage, so far.
Bob.
Good point. I would throw in that warranty time is vastly different that MTBF. Wax rings I am sure last practically forever if the toilet is stable but I'd be surprised to see a 10 year warranty on one. The main point I guess is that it is unproven. 20 years from now everyone or no one may be using them. Thanks for the input, its something to consider. Alan
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Wax rings (even stacked) are cheap and proven. No alternative is needed. They are preying on your insecurities.
BB
Can't argue the point - that is exactly why I am considering it. Cheap isn't an issue, I have only the one toilet to repair (its only $5). Pros, of course, would have to consider that. Thanks Alan
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

- AAB or Alan -

Cheap
- Nehmo - The new product is superior to a wax ring. It's easy to use, fast, not messy, and is forgiving of a small positional error. If you have to take up the stool and put it back, you don't need to get a new ring.
I've used the wax rings plenty of times. I won't use one again unless the new thing is unavailable.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
wrote:

They

The wax ring is not there to block water. It is to seal against gases.
BB
Doubt it. Otherwise we could just use rags stuffed in there.
wrote:

base

Incorrect. You could not get a gas tight seal. It is also a moist environment where cloth would decompose. The wax ring is not there for blocking water. If you understood the configuration of a toilet and how it works, you would know that. It's not at all complicated.
BB

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:51:13 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

So maybe you can explain to everyone why water leakage occures when a wax ring fails?
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:50:29 -0600, vairxpert

It doesn't. If you are leaking at that point, you have another problem. You can mount a toilet with NO wax ring, and if the plumbing is okay, it won't leak a single drop. The wax ring is not there to block water. It's function is to block gases. If you are leaking water through that area, you need to find out the real cause. It isn't the fault of the wax ring.
BB

I installed one on my last bathroon remodel. It's easy to install and will compensate for different floor heights. Considering it's a pvc type of plastic with neoprene o-rings to seal out gases and a forming gasket to prevent spash back, I can't see any reason why it would fail in 10 years. Another nice thing is that it's reusable. If you have to lift the toilet for any reason you're not stuck having to go out and buy another wax ring and scraping all the old crap off. I'm in the process of remodeling another one of my bathrooms right now and it will also get the wax free kit.
The kit I bought from Menards included a separate housing for 4" pipe if needed. I think I paid only $6.00 for the kit.
George
I remodeled my bathroom, the waxless toilet seals work better that the wasx. Wax is OLD science, it works but not for long, the rubber flange is a better design. Its evolution!
-Paul

Fernco has been in the waste plumbing adapter business for a long time, it is likely to be a good product, if used appropriately, the company has a good rep in the biz.
This thread is a great application of the axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Wax seals are simple, cheap and effective. Why "improve" them?