preventing sewer gas once toilet wax seal removed

I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Rald

Hi, P trap is there with water in it, right? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Temp seals are available. Search for "test plug" on Home Depots web site. Less than $4.00

Reply to
Reed

Toilets dont have P-traps.

They do sell a rubber seal for 3" and 4" pipes. Just stick it in there and turn the nut on top to tighten it. Under $10, In a pinch, I have taken a plastic trash bag, pushed it into the hole and stuffed it with balled up newspaper. However, for several months I'd buy the plug. You could also put down a cheap wax ring, cut a circle of plywood to fit the flange and tighten the bolts. The wax rings are only $2, so it's not a big cost.

Reply to
maradcliff

Slight correction: The toilet IS the "P-trap". :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You could just stuff a rag in there. I see it done like this all the time.

Reply to
3rd eye

When I had one toilet "off" for a few days last year I laid a mouse pad on the flange and set a few bricks on top of it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Is that the one you have on your desk right now?

Reply to
trost

Toilets dont have p-traps.

Reply to
Sexytom976

"Sexytom976" wrote:>Toilets dont have p-traps.

Correction, they do. Well, maybe not a "p"-type, per se. It's the hole in the floor that doesn't. Just wad up a rag and jam it in the flange to minimize the odor. Try not to let it fall in past retrieval's reach! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

There are plastic blank plates that can be held on with short versions of toilet flange bolts. They have a rubber or neoprene gasket that makes them gas tight. There are also expandable plugs that you can place in the line and expand out against the wall of the pipe by tightening a wing nut. The plastic plate flange is the better of the two solutions because it will keep all foreign matter out of the sewer line.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

I've saw a rat come up through an uncovered line located at ground level, so I strongly recommend using a plate or expandable plug if you intend on leaving the waste line unused for several months.

Ron

Reply to
Ron