tight lug nuts

You have it backwards Harry. Right side had right nuts. Left side had left nuts an ALL chrysler cars up untill about 1970. For sure by 1972 the left hand nuts were GONE form Chrysler compact and intermediates as well as full sized passenger vehicles. Still used on some heavy duty trucks right up to the end (chrysler trucks became freightliner)
On Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:47:25 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think you are right. As to the year of he Valiant I bought it used, very low miles, in '72 so it was probably earlier.
I was going by what the gas station owner told me had happened about the 'pulled stud'. I wondered at the time if it was possible. They fixed it.
Harry K
On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:51:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Gotta remember who's posting. It's Harry. ANYTHING can happen!!!
On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:30:09 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Only if some practical joker in the motor pool did it.

Many trailers were built with old Mopar and AMC axles and spindles - and nothing stopping some KLUTZ from installing the axle in reverse. Look for the "L" stamped in the middle of the stud, and on the nut (hard to see when they are badly rusted)

A REAL mechanic will use the torque wrench to back the nut off up to 1/4 turn then pull back in with the torque wrench till it clicks (assuming it is a "clik" type wrench)
On 9/25/2014 12:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> wrench to back the nut off up to

> torque wrench till it clicks

Sigh. I'm not real. I run em down one or two whacks with the impact, and finish with torque wrench.
Retorque after 25 miles, and again in 50.

We are NOT talking about wheel bearings. That is a totally different subject.

Depending on the car, and the tire, and your driving style, an extra 10PSI MAY be called for. If you take ramps at speed wirh a Toyota Sienna 10 expra PSI in the front will more than double the miles you get out of the original tires, as well as improving handling markedly. Hard cornering takes off both outer edges at specified pressure, and gives excessive understeer.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:26:47 -0400, Frank

That is part of the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) that you pay for and many dealerships totally ignore, other than the clean-up (make 'em shiny!!!)
J,
Lug nuts are cheap. Buy a nutcracker.
Dave M.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:51:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I had a 66 Valiant 225 slant 6. Good car. I had a shade tree mechanic do some work on it. He told me the left side studs were all rusted. He broke off all 12 of them. You would have thought that he would have thought a little harder after just a couple of them.

All TWELVE??? There are only 6 on each wheel - and 2 wheels on each side - - - - - -

A neat trick, considering that the 66 Valiant had only 5 studs per wheel.
J Burns wrote:

You mean it slips and rounds off the nuts before you can over tighten them? I never met one of those that wasn't a piece of shit.
On 9/25/14, 11:05 PM, rbowman wrote:

I prefer to support it on the axis, as I would a socket ratchet drive, especially with an extension. When I haven't supported it, it has stayed on.
It will easily apply the right torque and won't easily apply too much. That makes it dandy.
The tools that used to come with BMW motorcycles and SAAB cars looked cheap but worked and held up well. They were sized so you wouldn't carelessly overtighten but were stiff enough for hammering to work on a stubborn fastener. I liked to add quality screwdrivers, though.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I've got torque wrenches that I use if I'm feeling anal, but usually I depend on a few decades of calibrated feel. Nothing falls off and I don't strip threads or snap bolts so it's close enough.
rbowman wrote:

Hi, At least on my own car I can do it pretty close. After nut makes contact short couple burst with wrench does it. But each vehicle has different specs......
Roy wrote:

Well, nobody ever gave IQ tests to potential tire monkeys.

the monkeys in tire shops are not mechanics!