The most unsafe car ever?

My 60 had the optional gas heater. No oil fumes. Hot air 30 seconds after you turned the key no mater how cold it was.

Yes, the optional gas heater was great but not very common. But I lived in SoCal so even when it was "cold", I could drive with the window down.

The first one I had was a 60. It was unstoppable in mud and water.

The corvair's were fantastic cars, one of the best ever. Their minor handling problem could be easily fixed.

I won't concede that it had a handling problem. But in 65 it was "fixed". Pretty much the best handling of any car on the road.
I still despise Ralph Nader for the hatchet job he did on the Corvair.
I had a '66 with the 4 single barrels. Bought an aftermarket kit to mount a Holly 4 barrel on the car. The Holly normally fed gas through two of the barrels, but when you pressed the gas pedal down the other 2 would kick in. Turned the car into a rocket ship.
Wish I had the money back then to keep those cars running.
--
Dan Espen

Besides the 60 I had a 62 briefly as well as a 65, also briefly. The 65 had the 4 1-barrels on it. It was pretty fast and could make an Olds 442 work hard at keeping up.

Just throw in a few tight turns and all the 442 sees is tail-lights

Decades ago, when I did my 2 month cross-continent motorcycle trip on a Canadian issue Honda Cx650ed, http://www.bikepics.com/honda/cx650/84 / I ran onto an idiot driving a Corvette, who seeing my bike loaded with gear front and back figured he could outrun me on SR 35 going into Cupertino. Somehow he just couldn't keep his speed up going in and out of the turns.

Gas tank aside, I've seen many other cars that rank up with it. I had a '64 Karmen Ghia convertible. I could make the front fender move up and down by shaking the windshield frame. Not to mention a lot of other things like no heat, no defrost (well, I did carry an ice scraper for inside) openings in the floor pan, etc.

I had a '66 Rambler Ambassador with a busted motor mount.
If I stomped on the gas during a left hand turn, the motor would shift and the fan would hit the shroud, bending the tips over so that they scraped the radiator when the motor came back down. It made a heck of a racket when that happened.
I kept a pair of vise grips in the car so I could straighten out the fan blades whenever it happened.
The Blues Brothers mentioned my car in one of their songs, 'B' Movie Box Car Blues:
Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife She had a brand new lay down Rambler She parked inside of town, layed the Rambler down She said she sure could dig if I'd knew her
The term "lay down Rambler" referred to the fact that the back of the front bench seat reclined until it was level with the rear bench, turning the inside of the car into one large bed.

The Ghia Convert had no heat or defrost from the time it was about 6 weeks old - - -

I'm not sure I see the problem.
What type of accident occurs more often - a rear end hit or a T-bone to the passenger side door?
What happens when a Pinto is rear-ended?
In this case the safety conscious owner simply moved the gas tank out of harm's way.
I give him credit.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:29:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

And he had a handy place to ditch the tank if he saw an accident coming - and an escape hatch in case of upset.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:41:46 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

I live in MN and see stuff like that on the roads all the time. There's no kind of regular vehicle inspection up here, and there are lots of rural communities with low-income families where vehicles get run into the ground, then revived and run some more. That and lots of deer to hit, and the harsh winters & road salt to really destroy the bodywork...
cheers
Jules
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:07:12 -0700, harry wrote:

I think some official ones around probably weren't much better - e.g. chop off the existing steering column, add a new one on the other side of the vehicle, and sling a chain around sprockets attached to the two (AMC Pacer).
cheers
Jules
On Jul 12, 12:28am, Jules Richardson

I know a guy who took a Pacer body & interior and mounted it way up high on an International Harvester frame to use as a snow plow.
When his Harvester body rusted out, he went with a body style that had lots of glass for visibility.
It was a very strange looking vehicle.

That's pretty impressive rust; I'm sure the reason the tank was rigged like that is there couldn't have been much structure left to strap a tank in the conventional location. But I'm not surprised that car is from Minnesnowta, I'm more surprised that it's got enough metal left to move down the road and not disintegrate after so many years.
I think my personal "WTF" moment was the guy I saw pulled over on the Ohio turnpike years ago driving some older GM boxy RWD sedan thing - I couldn't identify it because I was driving the opposite direction, and the entire front clip was missing - the only things forward of the cowl were the frame, suspension, engine, and the radiator support (it did have headlights...) I assume that there was wiring there as well... can't imagine anyone thinking that it was a good idea to try to drive that on the turnpike, but I guess my standards are higher than some.
nate
HeyBub scrit:

Corvair. At any speed.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:22:00 +0000 (UTC), "Harold W."

Nope - the last 5 years of the corvair were as safe as a corvette - same basic rear suspension geometry. Mabee go for a Yugo or some other little crap-box that couldn't get out of it's OWN way, muchless anyone elses.
On 11/26/2013 1:22 PM, Harold W. wrote:

Only Ralph Nader believed that. My '62 Corvair Monza handled very well and was fun to drive. I also walked away after I was broadsided by a Mack truck