OT: Sick Canadians fleeing to the south

"A Canadian study released Wednesday found that many provinces in our neighbor to the north have seen patients fleeing the country and opting for medical treatment in the United States. The nonpartisan Fraser Institute reported that 46,159 Canadians sought medical treatment outside of Canada in

2011, as wait times increased 104 percent ? more than double ? compared with statistics from 1993."

HeyBub

And that compares how to the number of Americans heading to Mexico and SEA for services?

Reply to
NotMe

interesting question, I look forward to your research

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Here is a list of the hospitals that United States patients are fleeing to;= those that can afford them that is. If you got the money they=92ve got the= treatment.=20

recyclebinned

Don't know about the rest, but the first one in the first category, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, treats the vast majority of its patients at no charge. M.D. Anderson is part of the University of Texas system and is designated as a research institution. The whole enchilada is funded as part of the university system.

Admittedly, some patients have to pay out-of-state tuition rates...

Reply to
HeyBub

What about illegals?

Reply to
krw

Are you that lonely that you need to continue the Canadian nonsense in a home repair newsgroup?

Reply to
George

You must be new here or you'd already know the answer to that question.

RicodJour

Regrettably, yes. My current squeeze is out of town (but should be back today).

All I have left to talk to is my cat and this newsgroup. The goddamn cat gives every indication of being bored into a stupor with my pithy offerings, so common sense dictated I direct my musings to those who can appreciate them: all the swell people on this newsgroup.

I appreciate your notice and constructive suggestions. Your attention has validated my sense of self-worth. I am SO pleased!

Maybe I can do the same for you someday...

Reply to
HeyBub

Ever hear of alt.politics?

I think you could find a new home there.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Judging from your constant stream of off topic posts for as long as I can remember it would would seem your "squeeze" has been away for a really long time...

Its really not that difficult to post stuff in appropriate places. Just going by the name of this group one would think posts about home repair are appropriate here. There are other groups for politics and humor for example that you might use.

Reply to
George

With the exception of British Columbia, all those provinces have small populations and are very rural and have difficulty providing all manners of health care.

Actually BC has one very large city and a very large large region with small population centres.

Delivery of health care is more difficult in sparsely populated areas.

I was very surprised to see that the two most populated provinces, Ontario and Quebec, which account for say 75% of Canada's population, were not named in this article, seeing how close they are to large American states/cities and consider just how bad the government deficits are here (Ontario has $16 billion budget shortfall).

The smaller provinces are doing better economically so theoretically would have more to allocate towards health care provisions....

Reply to
Duesenberg

Judging by your whining, it would appear that you don't know how to use a killfile.

It's really not that difficult to use a killfile. You're also welcome to leave if you don't like the atmosphere.

Reply to
krw

George, you can set your news filter to filter out all posts that start with "OT" which stands for "Off Topic" most sane posters start all bull sessions with "OT". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So if you owned a theater and some folks who needed a clue were annoying everyone else in the theater you would suggest they get ear plugs or move?

Reply to
George

There is no FLOOD of Canadians to the USA for health care...that is total BULLSHIT.

Reply to
Roy

I agree, and even if there is, SO WHAT?

If you've got the $$$ you should have the right to the best healthcare $$$ can buy. Aw, but that's "not fair" to the poor people. Well life's not fair. If life were fair people wouldn't get sick.

If you want equal healthcare for everyone, then quit arguing about who's going to pay for it and find a way to make it CHEAPER so people can pay cash again like they did back in the 70's and 80's.

Reply to
dennisgauge

You make a good point. Still, there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

  1. I didn't start the conversation on Canadian Health Care, I'm just responding with some new data.
  2. According to my count, I've posted 45 OT messages since August 2010 (23 months). That works out to about two per month, including the famous "OT-Loon over My-yami". Only the disgruntled would consider that frequency to be excessive.
  3. The groups you mention, politics and humor, have a much higher percentage of mental defectives than this group. I prefer to share enlightenments and, yes, from time to time, a little humor, with people who can appreciate the wit and wisdom offered. Not everything is perfect; this group does have, unfortunately, a smattering of nay-sayers, shoddy pedagogues, athletes of the tongue, and professional pick-nits, but this group, in spite of a few pimples (who shall remain nameless), contains far superior intellects than the rest.
Reply to
HeyBub

You mean to say in that time period you've _started_ 45 OT threads. That's a far cry from posting 45 OT messages since you rarely say something once, and you even have some history of replying to your own posts.

But isn't the real issue not the O part but the T part? Your "on-topic" posts are off-topic 80% of the time...and wrong almost

100%. :)~ R
Reply to
RicodJour

Yeah, for the absurdly anal; I've STARTED about 45 OT messages. Sorry if you were momentarily confused.

Interesting claim. Suppose you remind everybody which of my supposedly on-topic posts were really alien to the group. And if you can show me where I've been wrong - and not admitted the error - I'd be grateful. Heck, if you can show where I've replied to my own posts - other than adding additional information - I would be tickled to see that also. Odds are you are merely displaying a pathology centered around abusing others for your own merriment.

Should you be unable, or unwilling, to provide evidence of your claims, then, well, we'll know for sure.

Reply to
HeyBub