Sick Holly

I have an American Holly (Ilex opaca), planted in 1985, now over 20' high

- probably close to 25'. It has been sick for several years.

One person who claimed to be an expert on I.opaca said I should use Cygon

2E, in spite of the fact that it warned on the label not to use it on hollies. I did use it and almost killed the tree.

I just sprayed it this morning with "dormant" fungicide spray ("97% mineral oil" according to the label). I was also going to spray it with a dormant insecticide, until I noticed a warning against using it on hollies.

There are a few pictures of affected leaves here:

fact many of the leaves are much worse - there is also a seedling of about 2 1/2 feet which is much worse - many of the leaves are completely dead.

Can anyone recognize the problem? Maybe *more* than one problem?

Solutions?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Riehm

told2b

Sometimes you have to take the sick trees out and not plant new ones in the same place for years. Looks nasty and with it on a nearby plant contagious. If other folks in the neighborhood have Hollies it might be advisable to have a county agent look at it for safe disposal.

Bill

William Wagner

Your problem may me improper pruning and or Troubles in the Rhizosphere

see A touch of chemistry.
John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless