What's eating my Plum tree leaves in the Northwest

I have a plum tree, actually an italian prune tree. I have noticed that the leafs are starting to curl up. Some of them have little holes in them. Does anyone know what might be doing this? I could send a picture if it would help.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
paul

have you seen any caterpillars around? i know they've been feasting on my newport plum this year. the ones i've seen are yellow with black stripes and black feet.

-kelly snohomish, wa

Reply to
culprit

Hi Paul, Luckily my italian plum tree seems to be doing well this year. The problem with your leaves curling could be a fungus. It is probably too late to treat immediately, but either this Fall (right after leaf fall) or in Spring (just before buds open) spray using a lime-sulfer chemical or a fungicide with chlorothalonil. The holes could be an insect problem. You did not mention if you did any spraying this season. If not, you should start a regular spray schedule. At this point, you can use a general 'orchard spray', which is both a fungicide and an insecticide. You did not mention any problems with the fruit. A more serious problem would be plum curculio, which shows up as crescent shaped wounds on the fruit. That's a nasty one, so I hope you don't have it.

Sherw> I have a plum tree, actually an italian prune tree. I have noticed

Reply to
sherwindu

Paul, you can look here to try to find the problem. http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:S-WhVBUdE58J:

curling does usually mean fungus, but if it is on a small scale, have you checked for slugs and snails? I know they can cause leaf curl on low lying shurbs etc., but I don't know if they would climb the tree. Seems to me it would scare the little buggers. Here is another site to check

GC Certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor

to be a freelance web designer

Square Foot Gardening

I'm also in the West and have the same problem. Both with a Italian plum that I've had for 4 years and one I planted this year. The four your old has never born fruit. I took some leaves to our agri. ext. service and they said it was a lack of Iron. I bought some concentrate and fertilized but that has not fixed the problem. I will post a solution if I come up with one.

Reply to
Hoss Spence